Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 10, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (241-222)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Carl Ludwig (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 18, 1864, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

As gunner of his piece, inflicted singly a great loss upon the enemy and distinguished himself in the removal of the piece while under a heavy fire.

Second Lieutenant Frank Luke, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1918, near Murvaux, France. His citation reads:

After having previously destroyed a number of enemy aircraft within 17 days he voluntarily started on a patrol after German observation balloons. Though pursued by 8 German planes which were protecting the enemy balloon line, he unhesitatingly attacked and shot down in flames 3 German balloons, being himself under heavy fire from ground batteries and the hostile planes. Severely wounded, he descended to within 50 meters of the ground, and flying at this low altitude near the town of Murvaux opened fire upon enemy troops, killing 6 and wounding as many more. Forced to make a landing and surrounded on all sides by the enemy, who called upon him to surrender, he drew his automatic pistol and defended himself gallantly until he fell dead from a wound in the chest.

Landsman William F. Lukes (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 9-10, 1871, in Korea. His citation reads:

Served with Company D during the capture of the Korean forts, 9 and 10 June 1871. Fighting the enemy inside the fort, Lukes received a severe cut over the head.


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

241 Ellen: The Real Story of Ellen DeGeneres by: Kathleen Tracy

240 James Island: Stories from Slave Descendants by: Eugene Frazier

239 Bleachers by: John Grisham

238 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones by: R.A. Salvatore

237 After Fidel: The Inside Story of Castro's 40 Year Regime and Cuba's Next Leader by: Brian Latell

236 Veil: The Secret Wars of the CIA, 1981-1987 by: Bob Woodward

235 ESPN: The Uncensored History by: Michael Freeman  *A lot of interesting stories in this book.*

234 The Fifty-Year Seduction: How Television Manipulated College Football, from the Birth of the Modern NCAA to the Creation of the BCS by: Keith Dunnavant

233 Play Ball: The Life and Troubled Times of Major League Baseball by: John Feinstein

232 Cubs: Where Have You Gone? by: Fred Mitchell

231 Who's Your Caddy?: Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf by: Rick Reilly

230 Double Reverse by: Tim Green

229 Ruffians by: Tim Green *I'm not sure if I've talked about this before, but Green is a former NFL player (for the Falcons I think).*

228 The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters And Reflections by: Tom Brokaw

227 The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency by: Philip H. Melanson

226 Labyrinth: A detective investigates the murders of Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G., … by: Randall Sullivan *Aside from the fact that I think Tupac is still alive, I thought this was a pretty good book.*

225 Clear and Present Danger by: Tom Clancy

224 Great Expectations by: Charles Dickens  *I had to read this in school and I didn't love it... I recommend watching the Cheers episode (Season 9, Episode 17) where Frazier reads this book to the guys.*

223 The Last Coach: A Life Of Paul "Bear" Bryant by: Allen Barra

222 Standing Next to History: An Agent's Life inside the Secret Service by: Joseph Petro




Flashback Friday
Back Row: Aunt JoJo, Uncle Keith, Jason, MaMa, Da, Mom, Me (so cute!)  Front Row: Teresa Lynn, Scott, Sonny

Me - Trying to get Sonny and Teresa Lynn to let me play with my toy

What do you get a little boy on James Island for Christmas... A ball and a gun.  That's how we do it.

Here we see Granny and Mom watching Sonny play with my dang toys.  Where's that gun...

Look at my stocking... the little one facing the wrong way.

A picture of what Santa brought to Teresa Lynn and Sonny (my stuff didn't make the picture)... Teresa Lynn was a little upset that Sonny got Annie...

No comments:

Post a Comment