Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, May 11, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (221-202)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Jack Lummus (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 8, 1945, on Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as leader of a Rifle Platoon attached to the 2d Battalion, 27th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands, 8 March 1945. Resuming his assault tactics with bold decision after fighting without respite for 2 days and nights, 1st Lt. Lummus slowly advanced his platoon against an enemy deeply entrenched in a network of mutually supporting positions. Suddenly halted by a terrific concentration of hostile fire, he unhesitatingly moved forward of his front lines in an effort to neutralize the Japanese position. Although knocked to the ground when an enemy grenade exploded close by, he immediately recovered himself and, again moving forward despite the intensified barrage, quickly located, attacked, and destroyed the occupied emplacement. Instantly taken under fire by the garrison of a supporting pillbox and further assailed by the slashing fury of hostile rifle fire, he fell under the impact of a second enemy grenade but, courageously disregarding painful shoulder wounds, staunchly continued his heroic 1-man assault and charged the second pillbox, annihilating all the occupants. Subsequently returning to his platoon position, he fearlessly traversed his lines under fire, encouraging his men to advance and directing the fire of supporting tanks against other stubbornly holding Japanese emplacements. Held up again by a devastating barrage, he again moved into the open, rushed a third heavily fortified installation and killed the defending troops. Determined to crush all resistance, he led his men indomitably, personally attacking foxholes and spider traps with his carbine and systematically reducing the fanatic opposition until, stepping on a land mine, he sustained fatal wounds. By his outstanding valor, skilled tactics, and tenacious perseverance in the face of overwhelming odds, 1st Lt. Lummus had inspired his stouthearted marines to continue the relentless drive northward, thereby contributing materially to the success of his regimental mission. His dauntless leadership and unwavering devotion to duty throughout sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country.

Sergeant Alphonso M. Lunt (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 19, 1864, at Opequan Creek, Virginia. His citation reads:

Carried his flag to the most advanced position where, left almost alone close to the enemy's lines he refused their demand to surrender, withdrew at great personal peril, and saved his flag.

Corporal Franklin W. Lutes (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 31, 1865, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 41st Alabama Infantry (C.S.A.), together with the color bearer and one of the color guard.


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

221 The President, the Pope, and the Prime Minister: Three Who Changed the World by: John O'Sullivan

220 Jackie Robinson: A Biography by: Arnold Rampersad  *I think everyone (at least everyone in baseball) should have to read about Jackie Robinson.  Maybe not this book (though I'd pick it), but at least one book about him.*

219 The Last Brother: The Rise And Fall Of Teddy Kennedy by: Joe McGinniss *I got this book in high school for a dollar at a grocery store along with another book on this list.  This was the first "Kennedy" book that I read and it got me hooked on the subject.  This one focused on Teddy and, I think, was pretty fair in what it said about him.*

218 Stonewall Jackson: And the American Civil War by: G.F.R. Henderson *There is no doubt in my mind that had Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee fought for the North, the Civil War would have lasted a month at the longest.*

217 Body Of Secrets: Anatomy of the Ultra-Secret National Security Agency by: James Bamford

216 The Siege of Charleston: 1861-1865 by: E. Milby Burton

215 Mekong First Light: An infantry platoon leader in Vietnam tells it like it was by: Joseph W. Callaway, Jr.

214 First Force Recon Company: Sunrise at Midnight by: Bill Peters

213 V and Me: Everybody's Favorite Jim Valvano Story by: Roy Firestone

212 The Late Shift: Letterman, Leno, and the Network Battle for the Night by: Bill Carter

211 Lenny, Lefty, and the Chancellor: The Len Bias Tragedy and the Search for Reform in Big-Time College Basketball by: C. Fraser Smith

210 The Glorious Cause: A Novel of the American Revolution by: Jeff Shaara

209 Passport Not Required: US Volunteers in the Royal Navy, 1939-1941 by: R.E. White

208 Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN by: James Miller

207 Southern Fried Football: The History, Passion, and Glory of the Great Southern Game by: Tony Barnhart

206 Shadow: Five Presidents and The Legacy of Watergate by: Bob Woodward

205 Horns, Hogs, and Nixon Coming: Texas vs. Arkansas in Dixie's Last Stand by: Terry Frei

204 Built To Win: Inside Stories and Leadership Strategies From Baseball's Winningest GM by: John Schuerholz  *This is a good book to show some of the off the field stuff with baseball.*

203 Knight: My Story by: Bob Knight

202 The Letter of the Law by: Tim Green




No comments:

Post a Comment