Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (20-11)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant James Martin (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Richmond. His citation reads:

As captain of a gun on board the U.S.S. Richmond during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Sgt. Martin fought his gun with skill and courage throughout the furious 2_hour battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the damaging and destruction of batteries at Fort Morgan.

Sergeant Patrick Martin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions in June and July 1873, at Castle Dome and Santa Maria Mountains, Arizona. His citation reads:

Gallant services in operations of Capt. James Burns, 5th U.S. Cavalry.

Lieutenant Sylvester H. Martin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 19, 1864, at Weldon Railroad, Virginia. His citation reads:

Gallantly made a most dangerous reconnaissance, discovering the position of the enemy and enabling the division to repulse an attack made in strong force.


I’m just sayin…Fan of the Year Ashley’s Top 5 Books

5 - The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

4 - Born in Fire by Nora Roberts

3 - Fifty Shades of Grey (Book 1) by E. L. James

2 - Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling

1 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

20 A Peculiar Prophet: William H. Willimon and the Art of Preaching by: Michael A. Turner and William F. Malambri *At first glance I thought this would be a great book for preachers to read… but I then realized it's a great book for everyone to read. I'm not just saying that because Will Malambri is married to my Labor Day Cousin Sally... because, as you know, I'm not nice to someone just because they're family (just ask Sonny). I really did love this book. Sonny loved it so much that he started preaching one month a year (plus Easter). It didn't move me THAT much, but I still love it.*

19 The Science of Hitting by: Ted Williams *I read this book the fall of my senior year at James Island. That spring I had my best offensive season of my high school career (I credit just about all of that to this book... and to the advice I got from watching Rocky "Women weaken legs". I wish I'd read the book before then. It is a great book for anyone trying to be a better batter (or for those who just like reading about baseball).*

18 The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity by: Wm. Paul Young *I remember there was some controversy when this book came out. I didn't see anything to get upset about… but maybe I'm just slow to upset. Anyway, I read this in a small group and thought it was great. There was one part that gave me nightmares, but overall I thought this was a great book.*

17 The Little Engine That Could by: Watty Piper *This is probably just the greatest book ever for teaching kids to never give up.*

16 The Da Vinci Code by: Dan Brown

15 Alpha Threat: Germany's Most Insidious World War II Plot by: Ron Smoak*I've talked about this book on here before, so I won't say much about it now except to say that I still think it's a great book. If you haven't read it yet, do so now. It's an easy read which makes it perfect for reading on a summer vacation... or anytime, really. Was it written by a cousin of mine? Yes. But as we've already established, being related to me doesn't get you special treatment on here (just ask Teresa Lynn). Anyway, you need to read this one pretty soon because the follow up book (Caribbean Chill) is right around the corner (I'm not sure of the release date, but I think it will be this year or sometime after that). Word on the street is that this next book will have an awesome new character in it...*

14 The Monkey's Raincoat by: Robert Crais *I'm not real sure how I came across this book, but it was one of the best things to happen to me as far as books go. This is the first in the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series and I love it. It's got action, humor, short chapters… everything a great book needs.*

13 The Godfather by: Mario Puzo *I don't think I need to say anything about this one.*

12 The Guns Of The South by: Harry Turtledove *What's not to love about this book?*

11 In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors by: Doug Stanton *Wow and WOW! This is another book every high school kid should have to read. It'd be hard to read this and then complain about some stupid thing going on in your life. I'll let the late Quint tell you a little about the subject matter in this book...*



No comments:

Post a Comment