Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 3, 2013

The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown (371-347)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

First Lieutenant Baldomero Lopez (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 15, 1950, during the Inchon invasion in Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as a marine platoon commander of Company A, in action against enemy aggressor forces. With his platoon 1st Lt. Lopez was engaged in the reduction of immediate enemy beach defenses after landing with the assault waves. Exposing himself to hostile fire, he moved forward alongside a bunker and prepared to throw a hand grenade into the next pillbox whose fire was pinning down that sector of the beach. Taken under fire by an enemy automatic weapon and hit in the right shoulder and chest as he lifted his arm to throw, he fell backward and dropped the deadly missile. After a moment, he turned and dragged his body forward in an effort to retrieve the grenade and throw it. In critical condition from pain and loss of blood, and unable to grasp the hand grenade firmly enough to hurl it, he chose to sacrifice himself rather than endanger the lives of his men and, with a sweeping motion of his wounded right arm, cradled the grenade under him and absorbed the full impact of the explosion. His exceptional courage, fortitude, and devotion to duty reflect the highest credit upon 1st Lt. Lopez and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Sergeant Jose M. Lopez (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 17, 1944, near Krinkelt, Belgium. His citation reads:

On his own initiative, he carried his heavy machinegun from Company K's right flank to its left, in order to protect that flank which was in danger of being overrun by advancing enemy infantry supported by tanks. Occupying a shallow hole offering no protection above his waist, he cut down a group of 10 Germans. Ignoring enemy fire from an advancing tank, he held his position and cut down 25 more enemy infantry attempting to turn his flank. Glancing to his right, he saw a large number of infantry swarming in from the front. Although dazed and shaken from enemy artillery fire which had crashed into the ground only a few yards away, he realized that his position soon would be outflanked. Again, alone, he carried his machinegun to a position to the right rear of the sector; enemy tanks and infantry were forcing a withdrawal. Blown over backward by the concussion of enemy fire, he immediately reset his gun and continued his fire. Single-handed he held off the German horde until he was satisfied his company had effected its retirement. Again he loaded his gun on his back and in a hail of small arms fire he ran to a point where a few of his comrades were attempting to set up another defense against the onrushing enemy. He fired from this position until his ammunition was exhausted. Still carrying his gun, he fell back with his small group to Krinkelt. Sgt. Lopez's gallantry and intrepidity, on seemingly suicidal missions in which he killed at least 100 of the enemy, were almost solely responsible for allowing Company K to avoid being enveloped, to withdraw successfully and to give other forces coming up in support time to build a line which repelled the enemy drive.

Musician William Lord (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 16, 1864, at Drurys Bluff, Virginia. His citation reads:

Went to the assistance of a wounded officer Iying helpless between the lines, and under fire from both sides removed him to a place of safety.


Can people please stop with the Jason Collins/Jackie Robinson comparison?  I know I wasn’t alive yet, but in all of the books/articles I’ve read I don’t remember the part in the Jackie Robinson story where he comes out at/near the end of his career to tell everyone he’s black.  To be fair, I don’t think I hear a lot of people make that comparison… but once is really too many.  Listen, I’m not saying things are easy or hard for a gay guy in the NBA (or any other pro sport)… I’m just saying I don’t care if a pro athlete is gay.  And I don’t really see the need to “come out”.  To be honest, I don’t see the need for athletes to tell me who they like/don’t like.  I also don’t need to know who they sleep with (or how many people they sleep with… unless any of them is getting close to Wilt Chamberlain’s 20,000 number, let ESPN send me updates on that!).


The I'm just sayin… Top 421 Books of All-Time Countdown

371 Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by: James Loewen

370 A Day No Pigs Would Die by: Robert Peck *I remember reading this in school.*

369 The Politics of Glory: How Baseball's Hall of Fame Really Works by: Bill James

368 Star Wars: Millennium Falcon by: James Luceno

367 Tim Allen: Don't Stand Too Close To A Neked Man by: Tim Allen  *I remember reading this in the ICU waiting room when my grandfather (Da) died.*

366 John C. Calhoun and the Price of Union: A Biography by: John Niven

365 George Alfred Trenholm: And The Company That Went To War 1861-1865 by: Ethel Nepveux

364 Because He Lives: The Stories and Inspiration behind the Songs of Bill and Gloria Gaither by: Gloria Gaither

363 The Beloved Disciple: Following John To The Heart of Jesus by: Beth Moore

362 Dereliction of Duty: Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, The Joint Chiefs of Staff, and The Lies That Led To Vietnam by: H.R. McMaster

361 The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, The Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life by: Bill O'Reilly

360 Frank Sinatra: An American Legend by: Nancy Sinatra

359 Flash Point by: James Huston

358 Star Colony by: Keith Laumer

357 'Cane Mutiny: How The Miami Hurricanes Overturned The Football Establishment by: Bruce Feldman

356 Founding Fathers, Secret Societies: Freemasons, Illuminati, Rosicrucians, and the Decoding of the Great Seal by: Robert Hieronimus  *I read this book in the various airports on our honeymoon.*

355 Recruiting Confidential: A Father, a Son, and Big-Time College Football by: David Clearbaut

354 No Heroes: Inside The FBI's Secret Counter-Terror Force by: Danny Coulson

353 Sarah Henry Bryce 1825-1901: A Glimpse at a Remarkable Woman in the Turbulent Civil War Era by: Ethel Nepveux

352 The Natural by: Bernard Malamud

351 A Peace To End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East by: David Fromkin

350 Summerville, South Carolina: Images of America Series by: Jerry Crotty

349 Wrongs Of Passage: Fraternities, Sororities, Hazing, and Binge Drinking by: Hank Nuwer  *I could argue some things in this book, but overall it wasn't bad.*

348 Red Wind by: R. Largent

347 Star Wars: The Approaching Storm by: Alan Foster



Flashback Friday

This looks like a Christmas from a loooooong time ago... Hey, there's Aunt Yvonne...

Dad with a camera - See, kids, long ago you had to use a camera to take pictures (and it would only take pictures).  And you couldn't see the picture until it was developed.  By the way, there's a 50/50 chance the film in that camera was never developed...

Here we see Dad on a telephone.  Note that the wire you see is not to charge the phone - it HAD to be plugged in to work.  Also, this phone was only used to talk to other people.  It did not take picture or play music or get you onto the interweb...

Sonny and Teresa Lynn

Teresa Lynn and Sonny - wishing they had a little brother...

Teresa Lynn, Santa and Sonny - See what I mean about not being able to see the picture until it was developed... No way this picture is still around if Mom could have seen how Sonny looked...

Teresa Lynn holding a 1980's version of an iPod...

No comments:

Post a Comment