Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, September 6, 2013

It's Givin' Time!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Dakota Meyer (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 8, 2009, at Kunar Province, Afghanistan. His citation reads:

Corporal Meyer maintained security at a patrol rally point while other members of his team moved on foot with two platoons of Afghan National Army and Border Police into the village of Ganjgal for a pre-dawn meeting with village elders. Moving into the village, the patrol was ambushed by more than 50 enemy fighters firing rocket propelled grenades, mortars, and machine guns from houses and fortified positions on the slopes above. Hearing over the radio that four U.S. team members were cut off, Corporal Meyer seized the initiative. With a fellow Marine driving, Corporal Meyer took the exposed gunner's position in a gun-truck as they drove down the steeply terraced terrain in a daring attempt to disrupt the enemy attack and locate the trapped U.S. team. Disregarding intense enemy fire now concentrated on their lone vehicle, Corporal Meyer killed a number of enemy fighters with the mounted machine guns and his rifle, some at near point blank range, as he and his driver made three solo trips into the ambush area. During the first two trips, he and his driver evacuated two dozen Afghan soldiers, many of whom were wounded. When one machine gun became inoperable, he directed a return to the rally point to switch to another gun-truck for a third trip into the ambush area where his accurate fire directly supported the remaining U.S. personnel and Afghan soldiers fighting their way out of the ambush. Despite a shrapnel wound to his arm, Corporal Meyer made two more trips into the ambush area in a third gun-truck accompanied by four other Afghan vehicles to recover more wounded Afghan soldiers and search for the missing U.S. team members. Still under heavy enemy fire, he dismounted the vehicle on the fifth trip and moved on foot to locate and recover the bodies of his team members. Corporal Meyer's daring initiative and bold fighting spirit throughout the 6-hour battle significantly disrupted the enemy's attack and inspired the members of the combined force to fight on. His unwavering courage and steadfast devotion to his U.S. and Afghan comrades in the face of almost certain death reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Captain Henry C. Meyer (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 17, 1864, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

During an assault and in the face of a heavy fire rendered heroic assistance to a wounded and helpless officer, thereby saving his life and in the performance of this gallant act sustained a severe wound.

Carpenter’s Mate Third Class William Meyer (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898, on board the U.S.S. Nashville. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Nashville during the operation of cutting the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Meyer displayed extraordinary bravery and coolness through this action.


It’s that time of the year again… I’m raising money for the Alzheimer’s Association. I got a late start this year, so go ahead and give now. Many of you have probably already gotten an email from me. Click on the link in that email and give. If you didn’t get an email (or don’t want to look for it), click here and give. Thank you!


Flashback Friday
This is Sonny around 1994-1995.  He was trying to bring the 1970s look back.  I've said it before and I'll say it again... Sonny was cute as a baby/little boy and he don't look bad now, but that boy was all kinds of ugly between the ages of 10 and 40.  I mean, just look at this pic.  Hahahaha... This is why I'm so thankful to Aunt Yvonne for the home videos she made.  I was watching one at the lake house when this came up.  I paused it and took this picture.  Sonny said he's bringing this look back this Christmas.  I only hope he's telling the truth...

There is a chance I've already posted some of these... If so, I'm posting them again because I like them.  Here's Cougar, Allison, MaMa and Sonny
A great one of Allison and Leah
Leah, Brent, Cougar and Allison
Allison... This one makes me laugh
Brent, Teresa Lynn, Leah, Sonny, Allison, Cougar

No comments:

Post a Comment