Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Tuesday, November 19, 2013

HAPPY 900TH POST!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant First Class Donald R. Moyer (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 20, 1951, near Seoul, Korea. His citation reads:

Sfc. Moyer assistant platoon leader, Company E, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against an armed enemy of the United Nations. Sfc. Moyer's platoon was committed to attack and secure commanding terrain stubbornly defended by a numerically superior hostile force emplaced in well-fortified positions. Advancing up the rocky hill, the leading elements came under intense automatic weapons, small-arms, and grenade fire, wounding the platoon leader and platoon sergeant. Sfc. Moyer, realizing the success of the mission was imperiled, rushed to the head of the faltering column, assumed command and urged the men forward. Inspired by Sfc. Moyer's unflinching courage, the troops responded magnificently, but as they reached the final approaches to the rugged crest of the hill, enemy fire increased in volume and intensity and the fanatical foe showered the platoon with grenades. Undaunted, the valiant group forged ahead, and as they neared the top of the hill, the enemy hurled a grenade into their midst. Sfc. Moyer, fully aware of the odds against him, unhesitatingly threw himself on the grenade, absorbing the full blast of the explosion with his body. Although mortally wounded in this fearless display of valor, Sfc. Moyer's intrepid act saved several of his comrades from death or serious injury, and his inspirational leadership and consummate devotion to duty contributed significantly to the subsequent seizure of the enemy stronghold and reflect lasting glory on himself and the noble traditions of the military service.

Captain Myles Moylan (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 30, 1877, at Bear Paw Mountain, Montana. His citation reads:

Gallantly led his command in action against Nez Perce Indians until he was severely wounded.

Major St. Clair A. Mulholland (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 4-5, 1863, at Chancellorsville, Virginia. His citation reads:

In command of the picket line held the enemy in check all night to cover the retreat of the Army


One of the great things about having the best blog on the internet (900 posts and counting), is that every now and then other blogs will take a shot at me. Usually, I just ignore it because I don’t want to legitimize the other blogs by responding. Recently, however, my own brother decided he wanted to step up and take a swing at me regarding my decision to follow the 2014 NBA Champions (Brooklyn Nets) this season. I could have been the bigger man (figuratively and literally), but decided his attack deserved a response. Sonny mainly has two problems with my Brooklyn Nets… The first is that they are in the north and the second is that they are owned by a Russian. Both of these show just how old Sonny is.

First, Sonny makes you think that me following the Nets is bad because they are in the north, yet the 3 all-time greats he talks about watching when he was growing up are all from the north (Magic – Michigan; Bird – Indiana; Jordan – NORTH Carolina). Surely he can’t say that he didn’t pull for any of these greats back in the day. Plus, I already pulled for Boston a few years ago without any problems, and even I know (now) that Brooklyn is closer to the South than Boston. By the way, Sonny roomed with a guy in college from New Jersey… that’s WAAAAAAY worse than pulling for a sports team. And let’s not forget that my good friend (my words, not his) and South Carolina native Kevin Garnett is playing for the Nets this year.

As for the fact that the team is owned by a Russian… You have to understand that Sonny grew up during a time when The Russians were running wild throughout the NWA. Guys like “The Russian Bear” Ivan Koloff, “The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff, Krusher Kruschev and "The Russian Assassin” Vladimir Petrov were beating up his favorite wrestlers like Dusty Rhodes and the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express. So it’s not hard to see why Sonny would hold these ill feelings for the Russians. However, Sonny needs to realize the Cold War is over (Rocky won it for us during that God-awful scene in Rocky IV when he knocked out their boxing hero and then told a packed Russian crowd that if he could change and they could change then everyone could change… unless they liked the insurance they had, then they didn’t have to change. Or something like that… I haven’t watched that part of the movie since the first time I saw it, so I might be getting it mixed up with something else). Sonny must have also missed the memo that “The Russian Nightmare” Nikita Koloff became a good guy and started teaming with Dusty Rhodes (as The Super Powers). And to be honest, of the 4 Russians I named, 3 are really from Minnesota and 1 is from Canada… So I’m not even sure I believe the owner of the Nets is really from Russia. I just think they say he is to help them draw heat when they go on the road.


Picture Tuesday

I decided to post some more pics from my Labor Day Weekend... I can't wait for next year!










No comments:

Post a Comment