Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, April 17, 2014

I won!!!!! (suck it, family)

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain Harl Pease, Jr. (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 6-7, 1942, over New Guinea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy on 6-7 August 1942. When 1 engine of the bombardment airplane of which he was pilot failed during a bombing mission over New Guinea, Capt. Pease was forced to return to a base in Australia. Knowing that all available airplanes of his group were to participate the next day in an attack on an enemy-held airdrome near Rabaul, New Britain, although he was not scheduled to take part in this mission, Capt. Pease selected the most serviceable airplane at this base and prepared it for combat, knowing that it had been found and declared unserviceable for combat missions. With the members of his combat crew, who volunteered to accompany him, he rejoined his squadron at Port Moresby, New Guinea, at 1 a.m. on 7 August, after having flown almost continuously since early the preceding morning. With only 3 hours' rest, he took off with his squadron for the attack. Throughout the long flight to Rabaul, New Britain, he managed by skillful flying of his unserviceable airplane to maintain his position in the group. When the formation was intercepted by about 30 enemy fighter airplanes before reaching the target, Capt. Pease, on the wing which bore the brunt of the hostile attack, by gallant action and the accurate shooting by his crew, succeeded in destroying several Zeros before dropping his bombs on the hostile base as planned, this in spite of continuous enemy attacks. The fight with the enemy pursuit lasted 25 minutes until the group dived into cloud cover. After leaving the target, Capt. Pease's aircraft fell behind the balance of the group due to unknown difficulties as a result of the combat, and was unable to reach this cover before the enemy pursuit succeeded in igniting 1 of his bomb bay tanks. He was seen to drop the flaming tank. It is believed that Capt. Pease's airplane and crew were subsequently shot down in flames, as they did not return to their base. In voluntarily performing this mission Capt. Pease contributed materially to the success of the group, and displayed high devotion to duty, valor, and complete contempt for personal danger. His undaunted bravery has been a great inspiration to the officers and men of his unit.

Seaman Joachim Pease (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 19, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge. His citation reads:

Served as seaman on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Acting as loader on the No. 2 gun during this bitter engagement, Pease exhibited marked coolness and good conduct and was highly recommended by the divisional officer for gallantry under fire.

Private Archie A. Peck (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 6, 1918, in the Argonne Forest, France. His citation reads:

While engaged with 2 other soldiers on patrol duty, he and his comrades were subjected to the direct fire of an enemy machinegun, at which time both his companions were wounded. Returning to his company, he obtained another soldier to accompany him to assist in bringing in the wounded men. His assistant was killed in the exploit, but he continued on, twice returning safely bringing in both men, being under terrific machinegun fire during the entire Journey.


The Wife and I now each have an iPhone 5… so maybe this will help me when Mom and Dad call me asking for help using theirs.

When you ask a former ball player what it is he misses most now that his playing days are over, chances are very good he will say “the guys”. I don’t care what level the person played, I’d wager that 99% of guys would answer this way. Nobody ever misses practice (PRACTICE?!)… some might miss playing the game and hearing people cheer for them… but almost everyone misses hanging out with their teammates. Watching the video below reminded me of how much I miss hanging out with my old JI teammates. We never did anything like this… but God how I wish we had. Just to warn you, by the end of this video I had tears in my eyes.



Some people have asked me for the results of the I’m just sayin… Family Bracket Challenge. Well, here you go (each correct pick was worth 1 point).

5. Susie: 14
3 (tie). Mary Ruth: 25
3 (tie). Jennifer: 25
2. Daniel: 27

1. And the REPEAT CHAMPION of the I’m just sayin… Family Bracket Challenge with 38 total points is……… ME!!!!!!!!

I’m going to be honest… until I totaled up everything; I really thought Daniel or Mary Ruth might have beaten me. But looking back I crushed them, so I shouldn’t have been worried. I am impressed that Daniel came in second place.


Picture Thursday



Poor Susie... good thing she didn't bet any money

Mary Ruth tried real hard (and did pretty good in the first round)... maybe she'll have better luck next year.


Daniel did a lot better than I thought he would

#1!  #1!  #1!  #1!

I won't name any names, but what you're looking at here is a grown-ass man eating a chili dog with a fork.  To be fair, Jeremy... um.... the guy in the picture... did take the first couple of bites the right way but called an audible to avoid causing a huge mess.  Still...

Mary Ruth found a basket full of Easter Eggs at the Bethany Easter Egg Hunt (or whatever they called it).  I think Susie and Daniel found a lot too, but I wasn't with them (The Wife was)

This is what I left in my bed yesterday morning at 4:55 as I left to catch the bus for work... Susie's head is on Daniel's hip


No comments:

Post a Comment