Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, May 12, 2014

Aunt Yvonne’s Top 5 List

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Alonzo H. Pickle (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 14, 1864, at Deep Bottom, Virginia. His citation reads:

At the risk of his life, voluntarily went to the assistance of a wounded officer Iying close to the enemy's lines and, under fire carried him to a place of safety.

Private Charles H. Pierce (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 19, 1899, near San Isidro, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

Held a bridge against a superior force of the enemy and fought, though severely wounded, until the main body came up to cross.

Pharmacist’s Mate First Class Francis Junior Pierce (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 15-16, 1945, on Iwo Jima. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while attached to the 2d Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division, during the Iwo Jima campaign, 15 and 16 March 1945. Almost continuously under fire while carrying out the most dangerous volunteer assignments, Pierce gained valuable knowledge of the terrain and disposition of troops. Caught in heavy enemy rifle and machinegun fire which wounded a corpsman and 2 of the 8 stretcher bearers who were carrying 2 wounded marines to a forward aid station on 15 March, Pierce quickly took charge of the party, carried the newly wounded men to a sheltered position, and rendered first aid. After directing the evacuation of 3 of the casualties, he stood in the open to draw the enemy's fire and, with his weapon blasting, enabled the litter bearers to reach cover. Turning his attention to the other 2 casualties he was attempting to stop the profuse bleeding of 1 man when a Japanese fired from a cave less than 20 yards away and wounded his patient again. Risking his own life to save his patient, Pierce deliberately exposed himself to draw the attacker from the cave and destroyed him with the last of his ammunition Then lifting the wounded man to his back, he advanced unarmed through deadly rifle fire across 200 feet of open terrain. Despite exhaustion and in the face of warnings against such a suicidal mission, he again traversed the same fire-swept path to rescue the remaining marine. On the following morning, he led a combat patrol to the sniper nest and, while aiding a stricken marine, was seriously wounded. Refusing aid for himself, he directed treatment for the casualty, at the same time maintaining protective fire for his comrades. Completely fearless, completely devoted to the care of his patients, Pierce inspired the entire battalion. His valor in the face of extreme peril sustains and enhances the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.


It’s been six years since Granny died and it feels like it was just yesterday. I know she would love watching all of her great-grands grow up…

Today we are going to take a look at Aunt Yvonne’s Top 5 list…

5   Rifleman

4   Miami Vice

3   NCIS

2   Law and Order

1   Taxi

That’s a pretty good list right there…


The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


389   The Love Boat   1977-1986  

388   Home Run Derby   1959-1960   I remember watching reruns of this show with Dad, too. You wouldn't think a show like this would be that fun to watch but it was. I loved seeing the great players from back then and hear the interviews. Players today probably get paid too much to do something like this, but it would be cool if they did.

387   The Ed Sullivan Show   1948-1971  

386   Star Wars: The Clone Wars   2008-present  

385   Mission: Impossible   1966-1973  

384   The Danny Thomas Show   1953-1964  

383   The Practice   1997-2004  

382   Dream On   1990-1996  

381   Melrose Place   1992-1999  

380   Reba   2001-2007  

379   Spin City   1996-2002   This show was great even after the lead character changed… I think this was the show Michael J. Fox was working on when he went public with the fact that he has Parkinson's Disease.

378   Mad About You   1992-1999  

377   Dennis Miller Live   1994-2002  

376   Wagon Train   1957-1962  

375   The Man Show   1999-2004   This was good, but I could never watch too much at one time.

374   Buck Rogers in the 25th Century   1979-1981  

373   Mystery!   1980-present  

372   Def Comedy Jam   1992-1997, 2006-present  

371   Light's Out   1946-1952  

370   Laverne & Shirley   1976-1983   A nice spinoff of Happy Days.

369   The Big C   2010-present  

368   Brothers & Sisters   2006-2011  

367   Taxi   1978-1983  

366   Father Murphy   1981-1983  

365   Mary Tyler Moore   1970-1977  

No comments:

Post a Comment