Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cory’s Top 5

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant William Pittinger (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during April 1862, in Georgia. His citation reads:

One of the 19 of 22 men (including 2 civilians) who, by direction of Gen. Mitchell (or Buell), penetrated nearly 200 miles south into enemy territory and captured a railroad train at Big Shanty, Ga., in an attempt to destroy the bridges and tract between Chattanooga and Atlanta.

Sergeant John A. Pittman (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 26, 1950, near Kujangdong, Korea. His citation reads:

Sgt. Pittman, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. He volunteered to lead his squad in a counterattack to regain commanding terrain lost in an earlier engagement. Moving aggressively forward in the face of intense artillery, mortar, and small-arms fire he was wounded by mortar fragments. Disregarding his wounds he continued to lead and direct his men in a bold advance against the hostile standpoint. During this daring action, an enemy grenade was thrown in the midst of his squad endangering the lives of his comrades. Without hesitation, Sgt. Pittman threw himself on the grenade and absorbed its burst with his body. When a medical aid man reached him, his first request was to be informed as to how many of his men were hurt. This intrepid and selfless act saved several of his men from death or serious injury and was an inspiration to the entire command. Sgt. Pittman's extraordinary heroism reflects the highest credit upon himself and is in keeping with the esteemed traditions of the military service.

Lance Corporal Richard A. Pittman (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 24, 1966, near the Demilitarized Zone, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. While Company 1 was conducting an operation along the axis of a narrow jungle trail, the leading company elements suffered numerous casualties when they suddenly came under heavy fire from a well concealed and numerically superior enemy force. Hearing the engaged marines' calls for more firepower, Sgt. Pittman quickly exchanged his rifle for a machinegun and several belts of ammunition, left the relative safety of his platoon, and unhesitatingly rushed forward to aid his comrades. Taken under intense enemy small-arms fire at point blank range during his advance, he returned the fire, silencing the enemy position. As Sgt. Pittman continued to forge forward to aid members of the leading platoon, he again came under heavy fire from 2 automatic weapons which he promptly destroyed. Learning that there were additional wounded marines 50 yards further along the trail, he braved a withering hail of enemy mortar and small-arms fire to continue onward. As he reached the position where the leading marines had fallen, he was suddenly confronted with a bold frontal attack by 30 to 40 enemy. Totally disregarding his safety, he calmly established a position in the middle of the trail and raked the advancing enemy with devastating machinegun fire. His weapon rendered ineffective, he picked up an enemy submachinegun and, together with a pistol seized from a fallen comrade, continued his lethal fire until the enemy force had withdrawn. Having exhausted his ammunition except for a grenade which he hurled at the enemy, he then rejoined his platoon. Sgt. Pittman's daring initiative, bold fighting spirit and selfless devotion to duty inflicted casualties, disrupted the enemy attack and saved the lives of many of his wounded comrades. His personal valor at grave risk to himself reflects the highest credit upon himself, the Marine Corps, and the U.S. Naval Service.


Today we are going to look at Cory’s Top 5…

5   Lost (Minus season 6)

4   Breaking Bad

3   Seinfeld

2   Tom and Jerry

1   Sopranos

I’ve got a lot of respect for a guy who likes a show so much that he has it on his top 5, but hates a part of it so much that he says to exclude it from the selection. It reminds me of my feelings on Rocky IV… GREAT movie (except for the part after he wins… “If I can change… and you can change… we can vote for change… does anyone have change…” You know the part I’m talking about.


The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


264   Deadliest Catch   2005-present   I remember there was always a fishing show on TV on Saturday when I was growing up (probably on ESPN back when they would show anything just to have programming)… This ain't that show. This is a GREAT "reality show"… I know I've said I'm against reality shows, but this one is GREAT. I never know when it is coming on, I just happen to see it as I'm flipping through the channels and about an hour or two later I'm still watching it.

263   Jake and the Fatman   1987-1992   While not a spin-off of Matlock, Jake and the Fatman was somewhat based off of a character that made an appearance on that show.

262   The Office   2005-2013   That's what she said.

261   Bronco   1958-1962  

260   City Guys   1997-2001  

259   DAG   2000-2001   Great comedian… not a great show.

258   Dinosaurs   1991-1994   Not that Momma.

257   The Young and the Restless   1973-present  

256   Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C   1964-1969   A spin-off of The Andy Griffith Show

255   House of Mouse   2001-2003  

254   Two and a Half Men   2003-present   This show has had some good moments… but there could have been more.

253   Fantasy Island   1978-1984  

252   Chico and the Man   1974-1978  

251   COPS   1989-present   Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do?

250   Deputy Dawg   1959-1972  

249   Chuck   2007-present  

248   Dexter   2006-2013   A disturbing show…

247   Guiding Light   1952-2009  

246   Eastbound & Down   2009-present  

245   Your Hit Parade   1950-1959  

244   George of the Jungle   2007-2008  

243   Boss   2011-present  

242   Just Shoot Me!   1997-2003  

241   WWE Raw   1993-present   Honestly, this show and the next one should probably be ranked much, much higher.

240   WCW Monday Nitro   1995-2001   Nitro edges out Raw simply because I watched Nitro more. I was a NWA/WCW guy… I'd watch WWF/WWE, but I'd rather watch NWA/WCW. I know some of you look down on wrestling, but these two shows got GREAT ratings in the mid to late 1990's... I mean GREAT ratings.  I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure Raw is still getting good ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment