Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, May 22, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERESA LYNN!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Quartermaster William B. Poole (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 19, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge. His citation reads:

Service as quartermaster on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Stationed at the helm, Poole steered the ship during the engagement in a cool and most creditable manner and was highly commended by his divisional officer for his gallantry under fire.

Captain Everett Parker Pope (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 19-20, 1944, on Peleliu Island, Palau group. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as commanding officer of Company C, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu Island, Palau group, on 19-20 September 1944. Subjected to pointblank cannon fire which caused heavy casualties and badly disorganized his company while assaulting a steep coral hill, Capt. Pope rallied his men and gallantly led them to the summit in the face of machinegun, mortar, and sniper fire. Forced by widespread hostile attack to deploy the remnants of his company thinly in order to hold the ground won, and with his machineguns out of order and insufficient water and men osed hill with 12 men and 1 wounded officer determined to hold through the night. Attacked continuously with grenades, machineguns, and rifles from 3 sides, he and his valiant men fiercely beat back or destroyed the enemy, resorting to hand-to-hand combat as the supply of ammunition dwindled, and still maintaining his lines with his 8 remaining riflemen when daylight brought more deadly fire and he was ordered to withdraw. His valiant leadership against devastating odds while protecting the units below from heavy Japanese attack reflects the highest credit upon Capt. Pope and the U.S. Naval Service.

Corporal Thomas A. Pope (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 4, 1918, at Hamel, France. His citation reads:

His company was advancing behind the tanks when it was halted by hostile machinegun fire. Going forward alone, he rushed a machinegun nest, killed several of the crew with his bayonet, and, standing astride his gun, held off the others until reinforcements arrived and captured them.




Our Fan Top 5 List today comes from the birthday girl (Teresa Lynn)…

5   Seinfeld

4   North and South

3   The Cosby Show

2   The A-Team

1   The Brady Bunch


The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


159   Howdy Doody   1947-1960  

158   How I Met Your Mother   2005-2014   I was on again/off again with this show, but The Wife kept up with it to the end.

157   Home Improvement   1991-1999   Tim Allen is so funny…

156   Highway to Heaven   1984-1989  

155   Have Gun – Will Travel   1957-1963  

154   Star Trek: The Original Series   1966-1969   This series wasn't popular when it was on TV, but after the movies came out people started loving it.

153   Hannah Montana   2006-2011   It saddens me to see what has become of the lead actress on this show.

152   Star Trek: The Next Generation   1987-1994   Probably the most popular of the Star Treks (though people tend to look back fondly on the original series).

151   Hangin' With Mr. Cooper   1992-1997  

150   Growing Pains   1985-1993   Great sitcom

149   Grey's Anatomy   2005-present   The Wife loves this show. Me? Not so much.

148   Good Times   1974-1979   Dy-no-mite!!!!

147   Duck Dynasty   2012-present   This isn't a show that I look for, but when I see it, I watch it.

146   Good Morning, Miss Bliss   1987-1989   The original version of what would become a great TV show.

145   Good Morning America   1975-present   Very good morning show.

144   Gilligan's Island   1964-1967  

143   George Lopez   2002-2007  

142   Arli$$   1996-2002  

141   Full House   1987-1995   Mary Ruth has recently discovered this show and now loves watching it all of the time.

140   Frasier   1993-2004   A great spin-off of Cheers.


Picture Thursday


Susie and her boots

They go with every outfit

A nice view of a beach being built on Folly (from the porch of a condo I was cleaning)


"Macho Man" Daniel about to hit me with an elbow from the top rope...

The Twins dancing during our "Dance Party" while mommy was at work

I know you people don't think I really have a day job... But here's a special pic I took at work with a file that has been open since 1961.  The last activity on it was in 1995.  My office has been trying to close it off and on since then but hadn't been successful for various reasons (one main reason is people would just give up and put it back in the file drawer).  Well, shortly after I got promoted I decided I would do everything in my power to close it before the end of our fiscal year (6/30/14).  And so, with a big assist from my boss, I was able to get this sucker closed on 5/12/14.  It might not sound like much, but it made me happy (and, as you know, that's my main concern).

I told you they go with EVERY outfit


Daniel playing his music...


No comments:

Post a Comment