Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, May 24, 2014

Louis’ Top 5

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Colonel David Dixon Porter (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 17, 1901, at the junction of the Cadacan and Sohoton Rivers, Samar, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism and eminent and conspicuous conduct in battle at the junction of the Cadacan and Sohoton Rivers, Samar, Philippine Islands, 17 November 1901. In command of the columns upon their uniting ashore in the Sohoton Region, Col. Porter (then Capt. ) made a surprise attack on the fortified cliffs and completely routed the enemy, killing 30 and capturing and destroying the powder magazine, 40 lantacas (guns), rice, food and cuartels. Due to his courage, intelligence, discrimination and zeal, he successfully led his men up the cliffs by means of bamboo ladders to a height of 200 feet. The cliffs were of soft stone of volcanic origin, in the nature of pumice and were honeycombed with caves. Tons of rocks were suspended in platforms held in position by vines and cables (known as bejuco) in readiness to be precipitated upon people below. After driving the insurgents from their position which was almost impregnable, being covered with numerous trails lined with poisoned spears, pits, etc., Col. Porter led his men across the river, scaled the cliffs on the opposite side, and destroyed the camps there. He and the men under his command overcame incredible difficulties and dangers in destroying positions which, according to reports from old prisoners, had taken 3 years to perfect, were held as a final rallying post, and were never before penetrated by white troops. Col. Porter also rendered distinguished public service in the presence of the enemy at Quinapundan River, Samar, Philippine Islands, on 26 October 1901.

Sergeant Donn F. Porter (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 7, 1952, near Mundung-ni Korea. His citation reads:

Sgt. Porter, a member of Company G, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and outstanding courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. Advancing under cover of intense mortar and artillery fire, 2 hostile platoons attacked a combat outpost commanded by Sgt. Porter, destroyed communications, and killed 2 of his 3-man crew. Gallantly maintaining his position, he poured deadly accurate fire into the ranks of the enemy, killing 15 and dispersing the remainder. After falling back under a hail of fire, the determined foe reorganized and stormed forward in an attempt to overrun the outpost. Without hesitation, Sgt. Porter jumped from his position with bayonet fixed and, meeting the onslaught and in close combat, killed 6 hostile soldiers and routed the attack. While returning to the outpost, he was killed by an artillery burst, but his courageous actions forced the enemy to break off the engagement and thwarted a surprise attack on the main line of resistance. Sgt. Porter's incredible display of valor, gallant self-sacrifice, and consummate devotion to duty reflect the highest credit upon himself and uphold the noble traditions of the military service.

Captain Horace Porter (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 20, 1863, at Chickamauga, Georgia. His citation reads:

While acting as a volunteer aide, at a critical moment when the lines were broken, rallied enough fugitives to hold the ground under heavy fire long enough to effect the escape of wagon trains and batteries.


Our Fan Top 5 List today comes from my cousin Louis…

5   Saved by the Bell

4   The Cosby Show

3   The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

2   Seinfeld

1   In Living Color

I probably wouldn’t have been able to guess Louis’ Top 5… but I would have guessed his #1. Overall, a very solid 1-5 on this list.


The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


119   Candid Camera   1948-2004  

118   Burn Notice   2007-present  

117   Around the Horn   2002-present  

116   Law & Order   1990-2010  

115   Aquaman   1968-1970  

114   Amos 'n' Andy   1951-1953  

113   Everybody Loves Raymond   1996-2005  

112   Amen   1986-1991  

111   According to Jim   2001-2009  

110   A Different World   1987-1993   A spin-off of The Cosby Show...  

109   TRANSFORMERS   1984-1993   There are later versions of this cartoon that I don't really care for, but this one was GREAT!

108   Beverly Hills, 90210   1990-2000   This taught me everything I know about kids growing up in Beverly Hills.

107   Breaking Bad   2008-2013    This could probably be ranked higher and maybe in future rankings it will be… but for now, this is the spot it has.

106   All My Children   1970-2011  

105   20/20   1978-present  

104   WKRP in Cincinnati   1978-1982   This show is #104, but the Thanksgiving episode is probably a Top 5 TV episode of all time. It brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it.

103   Walker, Texas Ranger   1993-2001   Chuck Norris. What else needs to be said?

102   Veggie Tales   1993-present   A great kids cartoon

101   Today's Special   1981-1987   I wish I could find this on DVD

100   Today   1952-present   A very good morning show… though I admit I haven't watched it much since I started leaving the house at 5am for work…

No comments:

Post a Comment