Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 30, 2014

Top 25

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant James I. Poynter (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 4, 1950, near Sudong, Korea. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a squad leader in a rifle platoon of Company A, in action against enemy aggressor forces during the defense of Hill 532, south of Sudong, Korea. When a vastly outnumbering, well-concealed hostile force launched a sudden, vicious counterattack against his platoon's hasty defensive position, Sgt. Poynter displayed superb skill and courage in leading his squad and directing its fire against the onrushing enemy. With his ranks critically depleted by casualties and he himself critically wounded as the onslaught gained momentum and the hostile force surrounded his position, he seized his bayonet and engaged in bitter hand-to-hand combat as the breakthrough continued. Observing 3 machineguns closing in at a distance of 25 yards, he dashed from his position and, grasping handgrenades from fallen marines as he ran, charged the emplacements in rapid succession, killing the crews of 2 and putting the other out of action before he fell, mortally wounded. By his self-sacrificing and valiant conduct, Sgt. Poynter inspired the remaining members of his squad to heroic endeavor in bearing down upon and repelling the disorganized enemy, thereby enabling the platoon to move out of the trap to a more favorable tactical position. His indomitable fighting spirit, fortitude, and great personal valor maintained in the face of overwhelming odds sustain and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Captain of the Main Top George Prance (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions from January 13-15, 1865, on board the U.S.S. Ticonderoga. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Ticonderoga during attacks on Fort Fisher, 24 and 25 December 1864; and 13 to 15 January 1865. Despite heavy return fire by the enemy and the explosion of the 100-pounder Parrott rifle which killed 8 men and wounded 12 more, Prance as captain of a gun, performed his duties with skill and courage during the first 2 days of battle. As his ship again took position on the line on the 13th, he remained steadfast as the Ticonderoga maintained a well_placed fire upon the batteries on shore, and thereafter as she materially lessened the power of guns on the mound which had been turned upon our assaulting columns. During this action the flag was planted on one of the strongest fortifications possessed by the rebels.

Blacksmith James Pratt (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 29, 1872, at Red River, Texas. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.


The I’m just sayin… Top 747 TV Shows of All-Time


Below we will have the rank, show, and years that the show ran (and sometimes any notes/thoughts I might have).


25   Family Ties   1982-1989   Michael J. Fox as the young Republican with two liberal parents… comedy gold.

24   In Living Color   1990-1994   The Wayans family, David Alan Grier, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Lopez and Rosie Perez… That's a pretty dang good list of people working on this show…

23   Mickey Mouse Clubhouse   2006-present   It's the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse… And Daniel LOVES it. Really, all of the kids do…

22   The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson   1962-1992   Ask all of the late night show greats who the greatest of all time is and they'll tell you Johnny Carson.

21   General Hospital   1963-present   I'm not big on these types of shows, but I do remember watching this one from time to time with Teresa Lynn.

20   Dallas   1978-1991   This show had a nice long run. It taught me all I know about Texas and the people who live there.

19   Cheers   1982-1993   Don't you want to go where everybody knows your name? And they're always glad you came? NORM!!!!!

18   Mama's Family   1983-1990   This is the kind of show that makes you laugh so hard you cry…

17   ER   1994-2009   This show was around forever… a lot of great actors passed through.

16   Bonanza   1959-1973   A man and his sons livin' the dream…

15   The Oprah Winfrey Show   1986-2011   Not my cup of tea… but you can't deny it's one of the Top 20 shows ever.

14   SportsCenter   1979-present   This show was a gamechanger. Anchors have come and gone, but SportsCenter is still going strong after 35 years…

13   Psych   2006-2014   A show on USA that drew the ratings this show did… just incredible. I didn't find out about this show until it was about a season or two old. Sonny told me about it when we were on vacation one year.

12   The West Wing   1999-2006   This is what politics are all about. Interesting fact… Dule' Hill was on this show and the previous show on this list.

11   Mad Men   2007-present   Man oh man… Talk about the good ol' days of advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment