Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, June 19, 2014

WE WANT LEAH BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Alexander M. Quinn (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 1, 1898, at Santiago, Cuba. His citation reads:

Gallantly assisted in the rescue of the wounded from in front of the lines and under heavy fire from the enemy.

Private Peter H. Quinn (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 13, 1899, at San Miguel de Mayumo, Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

With 11 other scouts without waiting for the supporting battalion to aid them or to get into a position to do so, charged over a distance of about 150 yards and completely routed about 300 of the enemy who were in line and in a position that could only be carried by a frontal attack.

Staff Sergeant Laszlo Rabel (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 13, 1968, at Binh Dinh Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. S/Sgt. Rabel distinguished himself while serving as leader of Team Delta, 74th Infantry Detachment. At 1000 hours on this date, Team Delta was in a defensive perimeter conducting reconnaissance of enemy trail networks when a member of the team detected enemy movement to the front. As S/Sgt. Rabel and a comrade prepared to clear the area, he heard an incoming grenade as it landed in the midst of the team's perimeter. With complete disregard for his life, S/Sgt. Rabel threw himself on the grenade and, covering it with his body, received the complete impact of the immediate explosion. Through his indomitable courage, complete disregard for his safety and profound concern for his fellow soldiers, S/Sgt. Rabel averted the loss of life and injury to the other members of Team Delta. By his gallantry at the cost of his life in the highest traditions of the military service, S/Sgt. Rabel has reflected great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.


Baseball lost some great men recently… Don Zimmer, best known in my house as the former Cub’s manager, passed away on June 4 at the age of 83. He had a great baseball life, including playing with such greats as Jackie Robinson, Pee Wee Reese, Roy Campanella, Duke Snider and Sandy Koufax and managing such greats as Ryne Sandberg, Rick Sutcliffe, Andre Dawson, Mark Grace and Greg Maddux. Tony Gwynn, perhaps the greatest hitter I ever saw, passed away on June 16. Sonny sent me something about Gwynn that I have to share with you. “Gwynn batted .462 (30 for 65) against John Smoltz, .429 (39 for 91) against Greg Maddux and .312 (29 for 93) against Tom Glavine. In 249 combined at-bats against these Cy Young Award winners, he struck out a total of 3 times (twice against Glavine, once against Smoltz). Greg Maddux is the greatest pitcher I ever saw (without a doubt in my mind). I saw him make a baseball do things that the Laws of Physics will tell you aren’t possible. Maddux called Gwynn "the best pure hitter in the game. Easily". Both of these great men will be missed. Stay away from tobacco products.

I hope everyone had a great Father’s Day. I had a great time going to the church I grew up in. I got to sit with Dad (who has gone to that church his whole life), Mary Ruth, Teresa Lynn and her whole family (and Mom, who was playing the piano. Mom is playing the piano “temporarily” for the church. I put temporarily in quotes, because the last time she did something like this for a church she was there over 20 years). After church we went back to Mom and Dad’s house for lunch (The Wife and The Twins met us there). From there, we went to The Wife’s grandparents’ house (where we ate again). All in all, it was a great day. I have some great Father’s Day videos that the kids made for me that I will share with you next week (I had trouble uploading them this week). Oh, by the way…


We need Leah to come back!!!!!! We miss her so much that, in protest of Teresa Lynn taking her, we have decided to not do the dishes and not clean around the house. The kids are also protesting by not playing well together. Our house is going to hell in a hand basket and it’s all because Teresa Lynn took our Leah away!

Speaking of Teresa Lynn, here are some (real) conversations from this past Sunday…


Lady in church talking to Dad: “My hair would be gray too if I didn’t dye it”.

Dad to lady in church: “Mine would be black if I didn’t dye it gray”.

Teresa Lynn (looking at Dad with a shocked look on her face): “Really?! Do you really dye your hair”.

Me (looking at Teresa Lynn with a shocked look on my face): “Bless your heart”.

Friends, after this exchange I spent most of the remaining time in church “I’ve GOT to remember to tell Sonny about this”. I then thought back over my life and I’m pretty sure the only time Teresa Lynn didn’t believe something either Dad or I told her was when I told her The Wife was pregnant with our third baby. How unlucky for her that the one time she didn’t believe is the one time one of us was telling her the truth… What are the odds?! I also found myself thinking… “Where are all the old people who were here when I was a kid?” (sadly, I realized that they were all, for the most part, now dead… and Mom and Dad are now the old people in the church).

Another conversation came at Mom and Dad’s house when Teresa Lynn wanted a picture with me and Dad on the sofa. At the time, I was sitting on one end with Dad to my right and Teresa Lynn on the other end.

Me: “Wait! Teresa Lynn and I have to switch places!”

Teresa Lynn: “Why?”

Me: “We just do…”

Teresa Lynn (while switching places with me): “But why? I don’t understand”.

Me: “You really don’t know?”

Teresa Lynn: “No! What did it matter?”

Me: “Because in pictures, I like sitting at the right hand of the father”.

Teresa Lynn: “Greg!!!”

Sadly, the pictures that were taken at that moment didn’t look good (blurry and too dark)… I’m sure it didn’t have anything to do with what I said…


Picture Thursday


Susie during her program at achool




Me with my buddy Jason Farr, before he won the stand-up competition

Us in the light.  Farr will be back down here this Saturday for a pretty big show


Scooby... after he was bad (he won't make eye contact)


Dad and Mom with Mary Ruth

Me and my award winning Mary Ruth

Goofy Boy Daniel


No comments:

Post a Comment