Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, July 17, 2014

Happy (late) Birthday Janie!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Seaman George E. Read (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 19, 1864, on board the USS Kearsarge. His citation reads:

Served as seaman on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Acting as the first loader of the No. 2 gun during this bitter engagement, Read exhibited marked coolness and good conduct and was highly recommended for his gallantry under fire by his divisional officer.

Lieutenant Morton A. Read (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 8, 1865, at Appomattox Station, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 1st Texas Infantry (C.S.A.).

First Lieutenant Frank S. Reasoner (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 12, 1965, near Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. The reconnaissance patrol led by 1st Lt. Reasoner had deeply penetrated heavily controlled enemy territory when it came under extremely heavy fire from an estimated 50 to 100 Viet Cong insurgents. Accompanying the advance party and the point that consisted of 5 men, he immediately deployed his men for an assault after the Viet Cong had opened fire from numerous concealed positions. Boldly shouting encouragement, and virtually isolated from the main body, he organized a base of fire for an assault on the enemy positions. The slashing fury of the Viet Cong machinegun and automatic weapons fire made it impossible for the main body to move forward. Repeatedly exposing himself to the devastating attack he skillfully provided covering fire, killing at least 2 Viet Cong and effectively silencing an automatic weapons position in a valiant attempt to effect evacuation of a wounded man. As casualties began to mount his radio operator was wounded and 1st Lt. Reasoner immediately moved to his side and tended his wounds. When the radio operator was hit a second time while attempting to reach a covered position, 1st Lt. Reasoner courageously running to his aid through the grazing machinegun fire fell mortally wounded. His indomitable fighting spirit, valiant leadership and unflinching devotion to duty provided the inspiration that was to enable the patrol to complete its mission without further casualties. In the face of almost certain death he gallantly gave his life in the service of his country. His actions upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service.


Before we get started today, I’d like to wish my Labor Day Aunt Janie a VERY HAPPY (LATE) BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!! I’m not sure how I missed her birthday yesterday… but I did. Still, Sonny doesn't believe in birthdays, so I know I wished her a “Happy Birthday” before that sonofagun.

So I've been thinking a good bit lately about stuff that’s been in the news. I have come to realize that my life is filled with contradictions and, while I wish I could be more consistent with my views/actions… I've decided for now to just accept it and move on. This will probably be something you notice in upcoming post(s) where I will share with you my views on such things as homosexuality, immigration, birth control and gay immigrates on birth control (just kidding about that last part… unless something comes up in the news that gets my attention). Every now and then I think it’s good to update you on how I feel about different “issues”, as these things can possibly change over the years (or months… or days… or hourly). While I usually have all of the answers, these are some things that I honestly just don’t know everything about. Maybe you’ll agree with me, maybe you won’t… that’s fine. Maybe what I say will make you mad… I think that’s kind of silly, but I can live with it. If anything, maybe what I say will make you think about your views on these issues. Maybe it will change your mind, maybe it will strengthen your views. Maybe you’ll forget everything I wrote ten minutes after you leave here to check out Facebook. I’m not here to change the world… or your mind. I’m just here because it’s free and I like to pretend that what I write is important. But honestly, my own children don’t listen to me, so I won’t be offended if you don’t either. Until then… let’s enjoy some pictures!


Picture Thursday











No comments:

Post a Comment