Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, August 21, 2014

Now it is official

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Landsman John Phillip Rilley (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 11, 1898, on board the USS Nashville. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Nashville during the operation of cutting the cable leading from Cienfuegos, Cuba, 11 May 1898. Facing the heavy fire of the enemy, Rilley displayed extraordinary bravery and coolness throughout this action.

Coxswain Edward Ringold (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 22, 1862, on board the USS Wabash. His citation reads:

Served as coxswain on board the U.S.S. Wabash in the engagement at Pocataligo, 22 October 1862. Soliciting permission to accompany the howitzer corps, and performing his duty with such gallantry and presence of mind as to attract the attention of all around him, Ringold, knowing there was a scarcity of ammunition, went through the whole line of fire with his shirt slung over his shoulder filled with fixed ammunition which he had brought from 2 miles to the rear of the lines.

Second Lieutenant Paul F. Riordan (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 3-8, 1944, near Cassino, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty. In the attack on the approaches to the city of Cassino on 3 February 1944, 2d Lt. Riordan led 1 of the assault platoons. Attacking Hill 175, his command was pinned down by enemy machinegun fire from the hill and from a pillbox about 45 yards to the right of the hill. In the face of intense fire, 2d Lt. Riordan moved out in full view of the enemy gunners to reach a position from where he could throw a handgrenade into the pillbox. Then, getting to his knees, he hurled the grenade approximately 45 yards, scoring a direct hit. The grenade killed 1 and wounded the other 2 Germans in the nest and silenced the gun. Another soldier then cleaned out the enemy pillboxes on the hill itself, and the company took its objective. Continuing the assault into Cassino itself on 8 February 1944, 2d Lt. Riordan and his platoon were given the mission of taking the city jail house, one of the enemy's several strongpoints. Again 2d Lt. Riordan took the lead and managed to get through the ring of enemy fire covering the approaches and reached the building. His platoon, however, could not get through the intense fire and was cut off. 2d Lt. Riordan, aware that his men were unable to follow, determined to carry on single-handed, but the numerically superior enemy force was too much for him to overcome, and he was killed by enemy small-arms fire after disposing of at least 2 of the defenders. 2d Lt. Riordan's bravery and extraordinary heroism in the face of almost certain death were an inspiration to his men and exemplify the highest traditions of the U.S. Armed Forces.


I’m sure you have been hearing the rumors that my Labor Day Aunt Janie is going to retire as the CEO of the United Way of Central Carolinas (in Charlotte, NC area... ). I am here now to make it official (since I know many of my loyal readers don’t believe it unless they read it here). If you have some time on your hands… you know, these are good enough to make time for… so take some time today or tomorrow to check out the following links to various news outlets in the Charlotte area regarding this announced retirement. Read about what she was able to do in her five years leading them. Read about where they were and where they are now… and how they got there because of Janie’s leadership. Read about how, as the kids like to say, haters gonna hate. I know at least one article I read listed some insults that have been thrown her way (like the “dissembling little doyenne”… which I looked up and I still don’t understand. Not to get off subject here, but I feel like you don’t want to overthink your insults. If your insult has to be looked up, then doesn’t it lose a little sting? I’m just sayin…). Anyway, if you read and watch all of these links (fyi… some videos might not work right away, try hitting refresh on those pages and see if that helps) and think “This is amazing!” In truth, it probably is amazing… but when I read it, I thought “Yep… That’s Janie”. It’s amazing… it’s great… it’s the kind of leadership that college students should do case studies on… and, in all honesty, it was not the least bit surprising to me. Friends, I know good leaders when I see them and this is one who I have seen my whole life.

The reason Janie gave for wanting to retire was she wants to spend more time with my Labor Day Uncle DG… Since I know DG, I’m not going to fall for this reason like all of the other reporters. My guess is this is being done so that she can focus on her 2016 Presidential run. She will have my vote (and yours).

http://www.uwcentralcarolinas.org/images/COJaneRetiring081514.pdf

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/08/jane-mcintyre-to-retire-as-united-way-chief.html?page=all

http://www.wbtv.com/story/26288277/united-ways-executive-director-announces-plan-to-retire



http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/mcintyre-who-helped-turn-around-struggling-united-/ng3Zj/

http://charlotte.twcnews.com/content/710838/united-way-s-jane-mcintyre-to-retire-following-2014-campaign/



http://www.wcnc.com/videos/money/business/2014/08/15/13836486/



http://www.independenttribune.com/news/united-way-s-jane-mcintyre-to-retire-after-campaign/article_34198192-26ec-11e4-a1a8-001a4bcf6878.html

http://davidsonnews.net/blog/2014/08/15/united-ways-jane-mcintyre-to-retire-after-2014-campaign/

http://wfae.org/post/headline-roundup-united-way-exec-resigns-nc-legislature-still-session-more

http://www.uwcentralcarolinas.org/images/COoped081814.pdf

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/08/15/why-a-crooked-path-can-bethe-best-way-to-chart-a.html

http://www.uwcentralcarolinas.org/news/news-a-press-releases/3-feature1/575-janes-last-campaign


Speaking of non-profits… It’s time for the 2014 Walk to End Alzheimer’s!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a couple of ideas to help me raise money this year. I haven’t really settled on one, yet… but here are some I’m thinking of…

If I raise $1,000… I will throw my buddy Cory into a pool of cold water this winter.

If I raise $2,000… I won’t throw Cory into a pool of cold water this winter. I figure this is a good way to get Cory to kick in $1,000 (if I am able to raise the first $1,000).

Another idea is to challenge people on Facebook to pour ice water on other people (and then donate). It’s kind of like the challenge going on now… but not as cold for the person being challenged. I’m picturing a bright young man who works for a lumber company in a small southern town making a video of him pouring ice water on his unsuspecting wife as she watches their twin girls and then posting this video to Facebook right before he donates $1,000,000 (fyi… for that much, I’ll throw The Wife into a pool of cold water this winter… twice). Granted, this is just a general thought… I don’t have anyone specific in mind. Anyway, I have my goal set at $500, but I’d love to raise $1,000 or $5,000… so feel free to give early and often. Go here to donate. Big thanks to my cousins Deeny and Jim for their donation! I appreciate it!


Picture Thursday


Daniel... he'll pretty much sleep anywhere

Susie showing Maverick some love (her words, not his)

After his haircut (at least The Wife says it was cut... I can't tell)

A happy little pirate

This is where I have to give Scooby credit.  He didn't move while Daniel was playing with those cars.

HELP ME!!!! SHE'S COMING!!!!

The kids with friends at the beach (I was at work)

Crap... It's too late for me.  Save yourself...

Heading to the beach

Daniel can't wait to play soccer this year

No comments:

Post a Comment