Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, August 14, 2014

RIP Robin Williams

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private James Richmond (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 3, 1863, at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.

First Lieutenant Edward V. Rickenbacker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on September 25, 1918, near Billy, France. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy near Billy, France, 25 September 1918. While on a voluntary patrol over the lines, 1st Lt. Rickenbacker attacked 7 enemy planes (5 type Fokker, protecting two type Halberstadt). Disregarding the odds against him, he dived on them and shot down one of the Fokkers out of control. He then attacked one of the Halberstadts and sent it down also.

Lieutenant Milton Ernest Ricketts (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 8, 1942, on board the USS Yorktown. His citation reads:

For extraordinary and distinguished gallantry above and beyond the call of duty as Officer-in-Charge of the Engineering Repair Party of the U.S.S. Yorktown in action against enemy Japanese forces in the Battle of the Coral Sea on 8 May 1942. During the severe bombarding of the Yorktown by enemy Japanese forces, an aerial bomb passed through and exploded directly beneath the compartment in which Lt. Ricketts' battle station was located, killing, wounding or stunning all of his men and mortally wounding him. Despite his ebbing strength, Lt. Ricketts promptly opened the valve of a near-by fireplug, partially led out the fire hose and directed a heavy stream of water into the fire before dropping dead beside the hose. His courageous action, which undoubtedly prevented the rapid spread of fire to serious proportions, and his unflinching devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.


How sad that someone so funny… someone who could make anyone laugh just by simply walking into the room couldn’t laugh his way out of depression. If ever there was evidence that depression is a real disease… and it’s a sonofabitch, this is it. I have been fortunate in my life that God has given me the ability to almost always make myself laugh. At times, this is a curse, since it almost always happens at inappropriate times. Still, there have been times (luckily brief times) when I have been unable to laugh. I wanted to laugh… I wanted to be happy… I just couldn’t. Truth is, I’ve probably had passing thoughts of suicide (back in college… and maybe one Saturday morning at the Lake House last December). Lucky for me, not only did God make me able to laugh at myself… He also made me (very) lazy. So my thoughts were never more than that. And I’ve learned over time that “this too shall pass” is a good thing to remember when things are bad. I’ve also learned that things are never as good as they seem when you’re winning and never as bad as they seem when you’re losing. Of course, I’m sure what I’ve dealt with is bouts of “sadness”, not depression. From what I understand, depression keeps you from thinking straight. It keeps you from remembering how much your friends and family love you. You convince yourself that they won’t miss you and that they will all be better off without you. If you ever feel this way, give me a call. You know I’m incapable of lying… so if I tell you that you’re right, you’ll know it. And if I tell you that you’re wrong, you can believe it. On the off chance you won’t or can’t call me… then I’d like you to remember something from one of the Rocky movies (Rocky V, I believe… which is kind of funny, since that would make it the only good thing to come from Rocky V). There’s a scene when Rocky is having a flashback to when Mickey has just given him his golden glove necklace…

See that? This is the favorite thing that I have on this Earth. And Rocky Marciano give me that. You know what it was? His cufflink. Huh? And now I'm givin' it to you and it, it's gotta be like a, like an angel on your shoulder see? If you ever get hurt and you feel that you're goin' down this little angel is gonna whisper in your ear. It's gonna say, 'Get up you son of a bitch 'cause Mickey loves you'. Okay?

So if you ever feel down and feel like life has beaten you down, I want you to listen to that little angel as it whispers in your ear: “GET UP YOU SONOFABITCH, ‘cause Greggie loves you”.


Picture Thursday


At the park with Daddy... before a thunderstorm rolled in.

A birthday picture with Mommy

The girls playing "Tea"... Yeah, Daniel is there too... but he kept getting in trouble because he wasn't "playing right".  I'm not sure I've ever been prouder of him.

Susie with the mermaid balloon she got at The Wife's birthday dinner at Gilligan's

Daniel with his teenage mutant ninja turtle balloon

Mary Ruth with her chameleon balloon

They LOVED Mommy's birthday dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment