Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thank You!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Henry Rodenburg (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on October 21, 1876 – January 8, 1877, at Cedar Creek, etc., Montana. His citation reads:

Gallantry in action.

Technical Sergeant Cleto Rodriguez (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on February 9, 1945, at Paco Railroad Station, Manila, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

He was an automatic rifleman when his unit attacked the strongly defended Paco Railroad Station during the battle for Manila, Philippine Islands. While making a frontal assault across an open field, his platoon was halted 100 yards from the station by intense enemy fire. On his own initiative, he left the platoon, accompanied by a comrade, and continued forward to a house 60 yards from the objective. Although under constant enemy observation, the 2 men remained in this position for an hour, firing at targets of opportunity, killing more than 35 hostile soldiers and wounding many more. Moving closer to the station and discovering a group of Japanese replacements attempting to reach pillboxes, they opened heavy fire, killed more than 40 and stopped all subsequent attempts to man the emplacements. Enemy fire became more intense as they advanced to within 20 yards of the station. Then, covered by his companion, Pvt. Rodriguez boldly moved up to the building and threw 5 grenades through a doorway killing 7 Japanese, destroying a 20-mm. gun and wrecking a heavy machinegun. With their ammunition running low, the 2 men started to return to the American lines, alternately providing covering fire for each other's withdrawal. During this movement, Pvt. Rodriguez' companion was killed. In 2 l/2 hours of fierce fighting the intrepid team killed more than 82 Japanese, completely disorganized their defense, and paved the way for the subsequent overwhelming defeat of the enemy at this strongpoint. Two days later, Pvt. Rodriguez again enabled his comrades to advance when he single-handedly killed 6 Japanese and destroyed a well-placed 20-mm. gun by his outstanding skill with his weapons, gallant determination to destroy the enemy, and heroic courage in the face of tremendous odds, Pvt. Rodriguez, on 2 occasions, materially aided the advance of our troops in Manila.

Sergeant Joseph C. Rodriguez (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 21, 1951, near Munye-ri, Korea. His citation reads:

Sgt. Rodriguez, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty in action against an armed enemy of the United Nations. Sgt. Rodriguez, an assistant squad leader of the 2d Platoon, was participating in an attack against a fanatical hostile force occupying well-fortified positions on rugged commanding terrain, when his squad's advance was halted within approximately 60 yards by a withering barrage of automatic weapons and small-arms fire from 5 emplacements directly to the front and right and left flanks, together with grenades which the enemy rolled down the hill toward the advancing troops. Fully aware of the odds against him, Sgt. Rodriguez leaped to his feet, dashed 60 yards up the fire-swept slope, and, after lobbing grenades into the first foxhole with deadly accuracy, ran around the left flank, silenced an automatic weapon with 2 grenades and continued his whirlwind assault to the top of the peak, wiping out 2 more foxholes and then, reaching the right flank, he tossed grenades into the remaining emplacement, destroying the gun and annihilating its crew. Sgt. Rodriguez' intrepid actions exacted a toll of 15 enemy dead and, as a result of his incredible display of valor, the defense of the opposition was broken, and the enemy routed, and the strategic strongpoint secured. His unflinching courage under fire and inspirational devotion to duty reflect highest credit on himself and uphold the honored traditions of the military service.


I would like to take a minute today to thank all of you who donated to my Walk to End Alzheimer’s campaign! Because of you (and me… I’ll never ask you to donate to something I won’t donate to), I was able to raise $800… $300 over the goal I had set. This $800 put me in the “Champions Club”, for the second time since they’ve had the club. I haven’t been as focused on this event the past couple of years (at least, not as much as I would like to be). Next year I think I am going to form a team to walk with me. You won’t have to raise money (though it would be nice if you did), but it would be nice to have a group walking with me and Mary Ruth and Susie (and possibly The Wife and Daniel… though they couldn’t make it this year because of his soccer game).

Thank you to:

My cousins Jim and Deeny

My Labor Day Cousin’s Jane and AJ

My Labor Day Aunt Janie and Uncle DG

Mom and Dad

Aunt Yvonne and Uncle George

My most loyal friends Jeremy and Rebecca

My cousin Louis and his family (Casey, Avery and Kelsey)

My cousin Susan

Sonny and Cougar

Teresa Lynn and Brent

My good friend Danny (yes, that Danny) and our Favorite Nurse Jen

ME!

I hope everyone starts saving up their money for The Walk next year… and maybe a cure will be found before too long so we can focus our time and money on a different disease.


If you didn’t give, but wish you had… Fear not! You can still donate here.


Picture Thursday


Getting ready for the walk

I think this was the largest crowd I've seen at one of these

A few in-walk pics



Me with my shirt and medal (MR wore the medal during the race)

Me with my fellow walkers getting ready to leave the house

The girls right before the walk with their flowers

A little post-walk work on Susie's hair

Aunt Yvonne came by after the walk to see her favorite child... suck it Susan!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment