Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Saturday, January 3, 2015

RIP Uncle Alfred…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Ordinary Seaman Fred Jurgen Schnepel (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 21-22, 1914, on board the U.S.S. Florida. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Florida, Schnepel showed extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession during the seizure of Vera Cruz, Mexico, 21 and 22 April 1914.

Wagoner John Schnitzer (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 23, 1882, at Horseshoe Canyon, New Mexico. His citation reads:

Assisted, under a heavy fire, to rescue a wounded comrade.

Major John M. Schofield (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 10, 1861, at Wilsons Creek, Missouri. His citation reads:

Was conspicuously gallant in leading a regiment in a successful charge against the enemy.


My last great-uncle, Uncle Alfred, passed away New Year’s Eve. Here is a link to his obit that was on the Times and Democrat. He was a great man. I enjoyed the times I got to spend taking MaMa up to Branchville and listening to her and Uncle Alfred talk. You will note, of course, that his son Ron is the favorite author of I’m just sayin…. Uncle Alfred leaves behind a great family… something I’m sure he would be proud of.

It’s kind of hard to transition from that to this, but… HAPPY 13th BIRTHDAY MAVERICK!!!!!!! Funny story… We thought he was only 10 years old last year, but we found out during a trip to the Vet that he was actually 12. He was not happy after that visit. Anyway, his back legs don’t always work the way they used to (and the way he thinks they still should), but he’s still the most protective dog we’ve got. You know how the saying goes… It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, if that dog is a big dumbass like Scooby (or something like that… I don’t remember the exact saying). Anyway, as a birthday gift to Maverick, we sent the kids away for the day so he could catch up on some sleep that he lost while the kids were home for Christmas break. We hope Mavi has many more birthdays… but let’s be honest, at 13 years old, the clock is ticking on this little old man (as we have started calling him).

No comments:

Post a Comment