Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, March 2, 2015

RIP Leonard Nimoy & Anthony Mason…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Sergeant Levi Shoemaker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 12, 1864, at Nineveh, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag of 22d Virginia Cavalry (C.S.A.).

Major William A. Shomo (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 11, 1945, over Luzon, Philippine Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Maj. Shomo was lead pilot of a flight of 2 fighter planes charged with an armed photographic and strafing mission against the Aparri and Laoag airdromes. While en route to the objective, he observed an enemy twin engine bomber, protected by 12 fighters, flying about 2,500 feet above him and in the opposite direction Although the odds were 13 to 2, Maj. Shomo immediately ordered an attack. Accompanied by his wingman he closed on the enemy formation in a climbing turn and scored hits on the leading plane of the third element, which exploded in midair. Maj. Shomo then attacked the second element from the left side of the formation and shot another fighter down in flames. When the enemy formed for Counterattack, Maj. Shomo moved to the other side of the formation and hit a third fighter which exploded and fell. Diving below the bomber he put a burst into its underside and it crashed and burned. Pulling up from this pass he encountered a fifth plane firing head on and destroyed it. He next dived upon the first element and shot down the lead plane; then diving to 300 feet in pursuit of another fighter he caught it with his initial burst and it crashed in flames. During this action his wingman had shot down 3 planes, while the 3 remaining enemy fighters had fled into a cloudbank and escaped. Maj. Shomo's extraordinary gallantry and intrepidity in attacking such a far superior force and destroying 7 enemy aircraft in one action is unparalleled in the southwest Pacific area.

Private George J. Shopp (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 1, 1865, at Five Forks, Virginia. His citation reads:

Capture of flag.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


There were a couple of deaths last week that made me stop and say, “Aww, man…”. The first was Leonard Nimoy. If you look him up on the interweb, you’ll find he did a lot of work in Hollywood. But, I’d be shocked if anyone would hear his name and not think “Mr. Spock”. The funny thing is, the initial Star Trek run only lasted about 3 seasons. It was not, what many would call, a “success”. The franchise made a comeback with movies and later versions of the show. It is famous for its die-hard fans, but even casual fans know Mr. Spock. The pointy ears, the unique wave, the line, “Live long and prosper”… all made famous by Leonard Nimoy. He was more than a character that many fell in love with, but that character influenced a lot of people to do good things.

The second death that made me sit down was Anthony Mason. I think this one hit me because it took me back to my youth when I loved NBA basketball. He played Forward alongside my all-time favorite NBA player (Charles Oakley) for the New York Knicks during the early – mid 1990s when men played basketball and lay-ups had to be earned. I don’t know how he was as a person (same could be said for Leonard Nimoy… and all other famous people)… I’d like to think he was a good person, but I honestly don’t know. Based on Twitter, I know that Oakley liked him (and it’s always a good sign when your teammates like you). I do know he was fun to watch play. I liked how he played. It would be easier for me to watch the NBA if there were more Mason’s and Oakley’s playing these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment