Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Picks

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Boatswain’s Mate Second Class John Otto Siegel (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 1, 1918, on board the Mohawk. His citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism while serving on board the Mohawk in performing a rescue mission aboard the schooner Hjeltenaes which was in flames on 1 November 1918. Going aboard the blazing vessel, Siegel rescued 2 men from the crew's quarters and went back the third time. Immediately after he had entered the crew's quarters, a steam pipe over the door bursted, making it impossible for him to escape. Siegel was overcome with smoke and fell to the deck, being finally rescued by some of the crew of the Mohawk who carried him out and rendered first aid.

Private Franklin Earl Sigler (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 14, 1945, on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the 2d Battalion, 26th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces during the seizure of Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands on 14 March 1945. Voluntarily taking command of his rifle squad when the leader became a casualty, Pvt. Sigler fearlessly led a bold charge against an enemy gun installation which had held up the advance of his company for several days and, reaching the position in advance of the others, assailed the emplacement with handgrenades and personally annihilated the entire crew. As additional Japanese troops opened fire from concealed tunnels and caves above, he quickly scaled the rocks leading to the attacking guns, surprised the enemy with a furious l-man assault and, although severely wounded in the encounter, deliberately crawled back to his squad position where he steadfastly refused evacuation, persistently directing heavy machinegun and rocket barrages on the Japanese cave entrances. Undaunted by the merciless rain of hostile fire during the intensified action, he gallantly disregarded his own painful wounds to aid casualties, carrying 3 wounded squad members to safety behind the lines and returning to continue the battle with renewed determination until ordered to retire for medical treatment. Stouthearted and indomitable in the face of extreme peril, Pvt. Sigler, by his alert initiative, unfaltering leadership, and daring tactics in a critical situation, effected the release of his besieged company from enemy fire and contributed essentially to its further advance against a savagely fighting enemy. His superb valor, resolute fortitude, and heroic spirit of self-sacrifice throughout reflect the highest credit upon Pvt. Sigler and the U.S. Naval Service.

Captain Lance P. Sijan (US Air Force) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on November 9, 1967, in North Vietnam. His citation reads:

While on a flight over North Vietnam, Capt. Sijan ejected from his disabled aircraft and successfully evaded capture for more than 6 weeks. During this time, he was seriously injured and suffered from shock and extreme weight loss due to lack of food. After being captured by North Vietnamese soldiers, Capt. Sijan was taken to a holding point for subsequent transfer to a prisoner of war camp. In his emaciated and crippled condition, he overpowered 1 of his guards and crawled into the jungle, only to be recaptured after several hours. He was then transferred to another prison camp where he was kept in solitary confinement and interrogated at length. During interrogation, he was severely tortured; however, he did not divulge any information to his captors. Capt. Sijan lapsed into delirium and was placed in the care of another prisoner. During his intermittent periods of consciousness until his death, he never complained of his physical condition and, on several occasions, spoke of future escape attempts. Capt. Sijan's extraordinary heroism and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty at the cost of his life are in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Air Force and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Armed Forces.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


I’d like to send a big Thank You to my cousin Susan for joining team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s!!!!!!!!! Maybe she will be the first of many people to join.

It’s time for the NCAA Tournament and the NIT, so I decided to get the family together again this year and make some picks. I know that some games were played last night, but these picks were made either before those games or without knowledge of the results of those games (or even who was playing). We will, of course, revisit this at a later date to see who did the best.


The I’m just sayin… NCAA Tournament Pick’em


Daniel has a legit change at getting the champ correct.  Too bad for him, he can't win... because he picked Coastal Carolina to win a game.  This is sure to bring bad karma to his picks...


Like the kids, I did zero research before making my picks.  I get that I'm taking a risk picking Wichita State to win it all... but I have too hard of a time picking against Gregg Marshall and the Shockers.

Mary Ruth had some good picks... but she might have stuck with the underdogs a little too long.  Then again, maybe she will get the last laugh.

If Butler is in the tournament, you can count on Susie to pick them.  

The Wife probably has the best chance of winning the pick'em this year.  These are some solid picks.



The I’m just sayin… NIT Pick’em


The best part about the NIT is that NOBODY knows ANYTHING about who to pick.  I don't think it's even possible to have educated guesses for the NIT.  Anyway, see our picks below.

Daniel with Bucknell to win it all

I've got Stanford, but I could see Murray State taking it all

Mary Ruth with the Pitt - Charleston Southern Final

I think Bucknell might be Susie's 2nd favorite team behind Butler

Can The Wife sweep the pick'em this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment