Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, May 3, 2015

Holy! Holy! Holy!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Captain of the Forecastle James Smith (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S: Richmond. His citation reads:

As captain of a gun on board the U.S.S: Richmond during action against rebel forts and gunboats and with the ram Tennessee, in Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864. Despite damage to his ship and the loss of several men on board as enemy fire raked her decks, Smith fought his gun with skill and courage throughout the prolonged battle which resulted in the surrender of the rebel ram Tennessee and in the successful attacks carried out on Fort Morgan.

Seaman James Smith (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 12, 1872, on board the U.S.S. Kansas. His citation reads:

Serving on board the U.S.S. Kansas, Smith displayed great coolness and self-possession at the time Comdr. A. F. Crosman and others were drowned near Greytown, Nicaragua, 12 April 1872, and by extraordinary heroism and personal exertion, prevented greater loss of life.

Landsman James Smith (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 13 and 20-22, 1900, in China. His citation reads:

In action with the relief expedition of the Allied forces in China during the battles of 13, 20, 21, and 22 June 1900. Throughout this period and in the presence of the enemy, Smith distinguished himself by meritorious conduct.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


The I’m just sayin… Hymn of the Week

Holy! Holy! Holy!


This hymn was written by Reginald Heber and composed by John Bacchus Dykes. Read a little more about it here.

Holy, Holy Holy! Lord God Almighty!
Early in the morning our song shall rise to Thee;
Holy, Holy, Holy! Merciful and Mighty!
God over all Who rules eternity!

Holy, Holy, Holy! all the saints adore Thee,
Casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
Cherubim and Seraphim falling down before Thee,
Which wert, and art,and evermore shalt be.

Holy, Holy, Holy! though the darkness hide Thee,
Though the eye of sinful man Thy glory may not see:
Only Thou art holy, there is none beside Thee,
Perfect in power in love,and purity.

Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty!
All Thy works shall praise thy name in earth and sky and sea;
Holy, Holy, Holy! Merciful and Mighty!
God in Three Persons, blessed Trinity!



The I'm just sayin… Countdown May List of the Day


Top 3 Video Games of All-Time

3   Baseball Stars   Nintendo   This is an old one, but a great one.

2   NHL '94   Sega Genesis   How great was this game? I don't like hockey, but I spent a ton of time playing this one.

1   Golden Eye   N64   Some people spend a lot of time in college studying… some partying. Me? I spent a lot of time playing video games… and this was the game played the most. One great thing about this game was it was a 4-player game… so we usually had 4 guys playing. I remember we had one bad controller, so we'd adjust things to try and make it fair... but you still didn't want to be the guy with the bad controller.

2 comments:

  1. This is a tough one...I could probably come up with a different list each day.

    3. NHL '94 - Sega Genesis - I am a casual hockey fan, but playing this game made me enjoy the sport much more than I ever did before.

    2. Super Mario Brothers 3 - Nintendo - The first Super Mario was great, but this one took it to another level.

    1. Super Tecmo Bowl - Nintendo - Football is a complex game, so it is hard to make a video game version of it that is easy to play (yet still somewhat realistic). This one managed to do it...I'm scared to think of how many hours I played this game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was hard not having any of the Super Mario Brothers games on there. And my list would have only had to be a little bit longer for Super Tecmo Bowl to have made it.

    ReplyDelete