Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, May 15, 2015

Top 15…

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private Michael Sowers (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on December 1, 1864, at Stony Creek Station, Virginia. His citation reads:

His horse having been shot from under him he voluntarily and on foot participated in the cavalry charge made upon one of the forts, conducting himself throughout with great personal bravery.

Sergeant Edward B. Spalding (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 6, 1862, at Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee. His citation reads:

Although twice wounded, and thereby crippled for life, he remained fighting in open ground to the close of the battle.

Sergeant Joe C. Specker (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 7, 1944, at Mount Porchia, Italy. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life, above and beyond the call of duty, in action involving actual conflict. On the night of 7 January 1944, Sgt. Specker, with his company, was advancing up the slope of Mount Porchia, Italy. He was sent forward on reconnaissance and on his return he reported to his company commander the fact that there was an enemy machinegun nest and several well-placed snipers directly in the path and awaiting the company. Sgt. Specker requested and was granted permission to place 1 of his machineguns in a position near the enemy machinegun. Voluntarily and alone he made his way up the mountain with a machinegun and a box of ammunition. He was observed by the enemy as he walked along and was severely wounded by the deadly fire directed at him. Though so seriously wounded that he was unable to walk, he continued to drag himself over the jagged edges of rock and rough terrain until he reached the position at which he desired to set up his machinegun. He set up the gun so well and fired so accurately that the enemy machine-gun nest was silenced and the remainder of the snipers forced to retire, enabling his platoon to obtain their objective. Sgt. Specker was found dead at his gun. His personal bravery, self-sacrifice, and determination were an inspiration to his officers and fellow soldiers.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


Well, we are half-way home. I hope you have liked the format this year. Actually, I hope more than just Jeremy is reading the posts this year.

So, I took off work this past Wednesday and Aunt Yvonne came up to Summerville so we could play (and by play, I mean have fun… and text pictures to my cousin Susan showing her we were having fun while she was at work). I know that sounds a little mean, but it wasn’t (unless you were Susan getting pictures of your mom hanging out with her favorite child while you were hard at work… but that would be only one of you, so the rest of you should side with me). Some of the pictures below are from Wednesday… some are on here because I have a couple of new apps on my phone that make playing with pictures fun.


I’m just sayin… Pictures


I talked about this lunch on here before (back when it happened)... but I found a way to express it in a picture, so here it is.

This is how things usually are in our family

This is how things are when Sonny calls Mom on Mother's Day.  You would have thought the world stopped because Sonny was on the phone... 

I sent this picture to Susan to let her know that I was ok (she had not checked on me in a few days) and to let her know that her mom was also ok.  She said she hated me!  Can you believe that?

Didn't want Susan to think we were hungry.

I was a good boy, so I got ice cream.

And then we went to the park so Aunt Yvonne could push me in the swing.  Ok, we were only there long enough to take this picture... but it was still fun.



The I'm just sayin… Countdown May List of the Day


Top 15 Clemson Football Players of All-Time

15   Donnell Woolford   1985-1988; (incomplete stats) 9 Ints, 754 Punt Ret yds (2 TD)   I had trouble finding stats for some of these players (especially defensive players). I can tell you Woolford was a GREAT DB who didn't have the greatest of numbers his senior season because teams stopped throwing the ball his way (yet he was still a consensus All-American that year). He was a first round draft pick (#11)

14   Brian Dawkins   1993-1995; 11 Ints (1 TD), 247 tackles   One of the hardest hitting players ever.

13   Chester McGlockton   1989-1991   Here's another one I couldn't find stats for… but I know he lead the ACC in sacks his Freshman season (as a back-up). I know he forced and recovered at least one fumble (for a TD) in the Gator Bowl that same season. He ended up with 39 Tackles for a Loss. He was a first round draft pick (#16).

12   Vic Beasley   2011-2014; 90 tackles (including 52.5 tackles for a loss… 33 sacks), 9 Passes Defended, 2 TD, 7 Forced Fumbles   He played a key roll in getting the Clemson Defense back to it's late 80's, early 90's level.

11   Steve Fuller   1975-1978; 4,201 yds Passing (22 TD), 1,703 yds Rushing (22 TD)   2-Time ACC Player of the Year… Considered by many to be the greatest Clemson QB ever.

10   Raymond Priester   1994-1997; 3,966 yds Rushing (21 TD), 316 yds Receiving (1 TD)   A great power running back… had some injuries that slowed him down a bit, but he was a real work-horse on some Clemson teams that didn't have much going for them on offense while he was there.

9   Sammy Watkins   2011-2013; 3,391 yds Receiving (27 TD), 339 yds Rushing (1TD), 1,376 Kick Ret yds (1 TD), 61 yds Passing (1 TD)   A great WR who had speed and hands. Probably the best WR in school history. It's possible he should be ranked higher on here. He was a first round draft pick (#4).

8   Michael Dean Perry   1984-1987; 61 Tackles for a loss (28 sacks)   His big brother (William) probably got more pub… but Michael Dean was the better of the two. He was great enough that I feel bad having him at #8 on this list.

7   Terry Allen   1987-1989; 2,778 yds Rushing (28 TD), 243 yds Receiving, 66 yds Passing (1 TD)   A knee injury his senior year slowed him down… but he still had GREAT numbers. He was great enough that another very good TB (Wesley McFadden) moved to FB to make room for Terry Allen.

6   Jeff Davis   1978-1981; 469 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 Ints   A leader on the National Championship team.

5   Charlie Whitehurst   2002-2005; 9,665 yds Passing (49 TD), 98 yds Rushing (10 TD)   I know it's hard to compare players from different eras… but Whitehurst is the best Clemson QB I've seen (with all due respect to Rodney Williams who I loved at QB and Steve Fuller who I didn't see play). Going 4-0 against USC and leading Clemson to its first win over FSU in forever helped land Whitehurst in the Top 5.

4   Levon Kirkland   1988-1991; 40 Tackles for a loss   I couldn't find many stats for Kirkland… but he's one of the greatest (some say The Greatest) linebackers to play at a school that has seen its share of great linebackers. He was a leader on some of the best Clemson defenses ever. Capt. Kirk is my all-time favorite Clemson player, so for him to be at #4 means I really think the next 3 guys were pretty dang good.

3   Anthony Simmons   1995-1997; 486 Tackles (52 tackles for a loss… 18.5 sacks), 9 passes defended, 5 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery   He played 3 years… he was an All-American each year (and First Team All-ACC each year). From his first game until his last, he was nothing short of awesome. He seemed to be in on every tackle.

2   Terry Kinard   1978-1982; 294 Takles (3 tackles for a loss), 30 passes defended, 4 caused fumbles, 2 recovered fumbles, 17 Ints.   1982 National Defensive Player of the Year, Two-Time First Team All-American (first unanimous first-team All-American in Clemson history)… He played on some great Clemson teams and he was a big part of them being great.

1   CJ Spiller   2006-2009; 3,547 yds Rushing (32 TD), 1,420 yds Receiving (11 TD), 2,052 Kick Ret yds (7 TD), 569 Punt Ret yds (1 TD), 32 yds Passing (2 TD)   I saw Spiller do things that I only thought were possible in video games. He played most of his senior season with turf-toe (which isn't really what you want as a running back) and STILL out ran most defenders. I never thought I'd see a running back better than Terry Allen until CJ Spiller came along. I still think he should have won the Heisman his senior year. Because of his turf-toe (and possibly other injuries... I don't really remember), he was pulled out of games that he wasn't really needed in... games that could have really added numbers to his stats. Every number he got his senior year was needed to help the team win. I don't think he got enough credit for that. He was drafted in the first round (#9).

No comments:

Post a Comment