Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, July 13, 2015

Happy Birthday Ross and TK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Private First Class Henry Svehla (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on June 12, 1952, at Pyongony, Korea. His citation reads:

Private First Class Henry Svehla distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a Rifleman with F Company, 32d Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, in connection with combat operations against an armed enemy in Pyongony, Korea, on 12 June 1952. That afternoon while Private First Class Svehla and his platoon were patrolling a strategic hill to determine enemy strength and positions, they were subjected to intense enemy automatic weapons and small arms fire at the top of the hill. Coming under the heavy fire, the platoon's attack began to falter. Realizing the success of the mission and the safety of the remaining troops were in peril, Private First Class Svehla leapt to his feet and charged the enemy positions, firing his weapon and throwing grenades as he advanced. In the face of this courage and determination, the platoon rallied to the attack with renewed vigor. Private First Class Svehla, utterly disregarding his own safety, destroyed enemy positions and inflicted heavy casualties, when suddenly fragments from a mortar round exploding nearby seriously wounded him in the face. Despite his wounds, Private First Class Svehla refused medical treatment and continued to lead the attack. When an enemy grenade landed among a group of his comrades, Private First Class Svehla, without hesitation and undoubtedly aware of the extreme danger, threw himself upon the grenade. During this action, Private First Class Svehla was mortally wounded. Private First Class Svehla's extraordinary heroism and selflessness at the cost of his own life, above and beyond the call of duty, are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

Private Charles A. Swan (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on April 2, 1865, at Selma, Alabama. His citation reads:

Capture of flag (supposed to be 11th Mississippi, C.S.A., and bearer.

Seaman John Swanson (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on January 15, 1865, on board the U.S.S. Santiago de Cuba. His citation reads:

On board the U.S.S. Santiago de Cuba during the assault on Fort Fisher on 15 January 1865. As one of a boat crew detailed to one of the generals on shore, Swanson bravely entered the fort in the assault and accompanied his party in carrying dispatches at the height of the battle. He was 1 of 6 men who entered the fort in the assault from the fleet.


Help Team I’m just sayin… in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s

To donate to me: Click Here.

To join team I’m just sayin…: Click Here.


I just wanted to wish my good friend Ross a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We hope he has a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’d also like to wish my good friend (my words, not his) Tony Kornheiser a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!


I know this is “old news”, but I don’t think I ever officially congratulated Coach John McKissick on his recent retirement. You, of course, know he’s the long-time Summerville football coach… but have you ever really put any thought into that? His first year was 1952… let’s take a look at what was going on back then.

My Dad turned 10 in December of that year… Mary Ruth will turn 10 in December of this year.

The last living Civil War veteran (Albert Woolson), was still FOUR YEARS away from dying.

Fidel Castro was still about 7 years from taking over Cuba.

King George VI died/Elizabeth II became Queen of England.

Winston Churchill was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Harry S. Truman was the President of the United States.

Dwight D. Eisenhower started the year as 1st Supreme Allied Commander Europe and ended it as President Elect.

The US Senate ratified a peace treaty with Japan.

The United States B-52 Stratofortress flew for the first time.

The US Army’s Special Forces was created.

Puerto Rico became a self-governing commonwealth of the US.

Television debuted in Canada.

The National Security Agency was founded.

Nearly 58,000 cases of polio were reported in the US.


Needless to say… he saw a lot in his time as coach. We hope he has many good years of retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment