Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Monday, May 30, 2016

Songs 25 - 11

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Pilot Perry Wilkes (US Navy) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 5, 1864, on board the U.S.S. Signal. His citation reads:

Served as pilot on board the U.S.S. Signal, Red River, 5 May 1864. Proceeding up the Red River, the U.S.S. Signal engaged a large force of enemy field batteries and sharpshooters, returning their fire until the ship was totally disabled, at which time the white flag was ordered raised. Acting as pilot throughout the battle, Wilkes stood by his wheel until it was disabled in his hands by a bursting enemy shell.

Corporal Edward G. Wilkin (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on March 18, 1945, at Siegfried Line in Germany. His citation reads:

He spearheaded his unit's assault of the Siegfried Line in Germany. Heavy fire from enemy riflemen and camouflaged pillboxes had pinned down his comrades when he moved forward on his own initiative to reconnoiter a route of advance. He cleared the way into an area studded with pillboxes, where he repeatedly stood up and walked into vicious enemy fire, storming 1 fortification after another with automatic rifle fire and grenades, killing enemy troops, taking prisoners as the enemy defense became confused, and encouraging his comrades by his heroic example. When halted by heavy barbed wire entanglements, he secured bangalore torpedoes and blasted a path toward still more pillboxes, all the time braving bursting grenades and mortar shells and direct rifle and automatic-weapons fire. He engaged in fierce fire fights, standing in the open while his adversaries fought from the protection of concrete emplacements, and on 1 occasion pursued enemy soldiers across an open field and through interlocking trenches, disregarding the crossfire from 2 pillboxes until he had penetrated the formidable line 200 yards in advance of any American element. That night, although terribly fatigued, he refused to rest and insisted on distributing rations and supplies to his comrades. Hearing that a nearby company was suffering heavy casualties, he secured permission to guide litter bearers and assist them in evacuating the wounded. All that night he remained in the battle area on his mercy missions, and for the following 2 days he continued to remove casualties, venturing into enemy-held territory, scorning cover and braving devastating mortar and artillery bombardments. In 3 days he neutralized and captured 6 pillboxes single-handedly, killed at least 9 Germans, wounded 13, took 13 prisoners, aided in the capture of 14 others, and saved many American lives by his fearless performance as a litter bearer. Through his superb fighting skill, dauntless courage, and gallant, inspiring actions, Cpl. Wilkin contributed in large measure to his company's success in cracking the Siegfried Line. One month later he was killed in action while fighting deep in Germany.

Sergeant Leander A. Wilkins (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on July 30, 1864, at Petersburg, Virginia. His citation reads:

Recaptured the colors of 21st Massachusetts Infantry in a hand-to-hand encounter.


The I'm just sayin… Top 1,453 Songs of All-Time

Rank Song Artist/Group

25 Joy To The World by: George Frideric Handel - Probably the oldest song on the list.  One of my favorite Christmas songs.

24 Jesus Loves Me by: Various - Is there anything better than listing to a children's choir singing this song in church?  I think not...

23 Mrs. Robinson by: Simon and Garfunkle

22 Drowning by: Hootie and the Blowfish - On their first album, this group from South Carolina with a black lead singer had a (great) song with a couple of lines calling for the Confederate flag to come down.  And they sold somewhere around a bazillion copies of that album.  I mean, think about that for a minute.  This song is so great (which is why it's in the Top 25).

21 American Pie by: Don McLean - If you have nothing to do, look on the internet to find the meaning of the lyrics to this song.

20 Fight for Your Right by: Beastie Boys

19 Margaritaville by: Jimmy Buffett - Have you ever written and recorded a song that has made you a ton of money?  This guy has...

18 Piece of My Heart by: Janis Joplin - It ain't a pretty voice, but is there a singing voice with more soul or feeling?

17 My Way by: Frank Sinatra with Willie Nelson

16 Walk This Way by: Aerosmith with Run-D.M.C. - This is a song that made Run-D.M.C. mainstream and gave Aerosmith a second life. It was also a GREAT music video.

15 Carolina Girls by: General Johnson and The Chairmen of the Board

14 Stairway to Heaven by: Led Zeppelin

13 Great Balls of Fire by: Jerry Lee Lewis - Some people bang on the people bang on a piano and make noise, Jerry Lee Lewis banged on the piano and made one of the greatest songs of all-time.

12 Beat It by: Michael Jackson - I think this was the first song I ever called my "favorite".

11 Welcome To The Jungle by: Guns N' Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment