Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Sunday, June 19, 2016

HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know Your Medal of Honor Recipients:

Unknown Soldier of World War II (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions during World War II. His citation reads:

AN ACT To authorize the President to award the Medal of Honor to the unknown American who lost his life while serving overseas in the armed forces of the United States during the Second World War. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That the President is hereby authorized and directed to award, in the name of Congress, a Medal of Honor to the unknown American who lost his life while serving overseas in the armed forces of the United States during the Second World War, and who will lie buried in the Memorial Amphitheater of the National Cemetery at Arlington, Virginia, as authorized by the Act of June 24, 1946, Public Law 429, Seventy-ninth Congress. Approved March 9, 1948. Public Law 438, 80th Congress.

Lance Corporal Kenneth L. Worley (US Marine Corps) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on August 12, 1968, at Bo Ban, Quang Nam Province, Republic of Vietnam. His citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a machine gunner with Company L, 3d Battalion, in action against enemy forces. After establishing a night ambush position in a house in the Bo Ban, Hamlet of Quang Nam Province, security was set up and the remainder of the patrol members retired until their respective watch. During the early morning hours the marines were abruptly awakened by the platoon leader's warning that "grenades" had landed in the house. Fully realizing the inevitable result of his actions, L/Cpl. Worley, in a valiant act of heroism, instantly threw himself upon the grenade nearest him and his comrades, absorbing with his body, the full and tremendous force of the explosion. Through his extraordinary initiative and inspiring valor in the face of almost certain death, he saved his comrades from serious injury and possible loss of life although 5 of his fellow marines incurred minor wounds as the other grenades exploded. L/Cpl. Worley's gallant actions upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

Private Joseph Wortick (US Army) received his Medal of Honor for his actions on May 22, 1863, at Vicksburg, Mississippi. His citation reads:

Gallantry in the charge of the "volunteer storming party."


I would like to take a minute today to wish Dad a HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope all of you other fathers out there have a good day as well. I am fortunate to have a great dad. I am also fortunate to know a lot of great dads… but as this is Father’s Day and they aren’t my father… I will simply wish them a good day and tell you one reason my father is great. I’m sure I’ve talked before on here that one of the greatest things Dad did was “be there” when we were growing up… so I won’t go into that right now. What makes Dad so great (and I really just thought of this) is how he was able to raise three different types of children. He was able to raise a functionally-mute son, a sweet (possible gullible… but definitely sweet) daughter and a perfect son. Each, I’m sure, brought challenges and at least one was probably a joy to raise… but he helped raise all of them and (I must say) did a pretty good job. Sure… he still has a son who doesn’t talk a lot and a daughter who believes too much of what her little brother tells her, but he was able to help make his perfect son… umm… perfect-er. So he’s got that going for him, which is nice. I’m just sayin…

No comments:

Post a Comment