Disclaimer

If you do not know me (I mean, really know me) then there is something you need to understand before you read this blog: I value the truth above everything else... except a good laugh. A good laugh will almost always beat the truth as far as I’m concerned. Everything you read on this blog will be true, somewhat true, or something I made up in an effort to get a laugh. Sometimes I will go on a rant that I don’t really mean (or only kind of mean). Sometimes I will mean what I write only to completely change my mind a year, month, or day later. Such is life. By reading this blog you agree not to get offended by anything I write (or, at the very least, you agree not to tell me or anyone else that you are offended). It is worth noting that my employer does not endorse my blog (or even read it, to tell you the truth). The Wife also does not endorse my blog (though she will read it from time to time). I am not paid to write this... it’s just my way of giving back to the community. I have, and will, touch on a wide range of subjects and will give my opinion on these subjects. Again, most of what I say is for laughs but every now and then I will say what I really think and feel (see my views on Westboro Baptist Cult). How will you know when I’m serious and when I’m trying to get a laugh? You’ll know. And if you don’t know, well... maybe this isn’t the best thing for you to be reading. So, sit back, read and enjoy. Leave comments if you want and don’t be afraid to publicly follow me.



Friday, November 4, 2016

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! HOLY COW… CUBS WIN!!!!!!!!

By now, you may be aware that the Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series. The Wife has said that she thinks that I feel that the day the Cubs won was the “greatest day of my life”. I, of course, said that January 21, 1979 (the date of my birth) was, in fact, the greatest day of my life. But this Cubs World Series Championship ranks very high up on the list. Probably, if I’m being honest here (and I usually am), it ranks higher than it should. I can't help it, though. I remember growing up watching the Cubs play day games on WGN… Harry Caray and Steve Stone... Sandberg, Sutcliffe, Dawson, Grace, Dunston and Maddux (but not Sammy Sosa… I hated that sonofabitch)… I was still a wee little lad in ’84, but I remember the stories… I do remember ’89 and how close they came to winning the NL. At that point, I figured it was just a matter of time until they won the NL and made it to the World Series. I figured wrong. There were some good years here and there, but none (in my opinion) were as good as the ’89 team. Until last year. Last year I saw a team that was fun to watch. They were young and they had a manager that looked like he was fun to play for. Then in the off-season they went and got some free agents to complete the team. I knew things were looking good when word got out that at least some of these free agents passed up more money from other teams to sign with the Cubs. Then this season came along and I watched them win and win and win all while fearing the “other shoe” would drop and they would lose. But they didn’t (well, they lost some games, but not many). Through it all, I had this strange feeling of “this is the year” mixed with “I may very well live my whole life and never see them make it to the World Series (much less win it)”. Well, as of yesterday morning, I don’t ever have to worry about the negative part of that feeling. If they never win another game, I’ll still have 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment